IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

cucurbits December 17th, 2009 07:06 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Found a tomato out there. Not ripe but looks like it will ripen inside.

w8in4dave December 17th, 2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cucurbits (Post 427134)
Found a tomato out there. Not ripe but looks like it will ripen inside.

Cool!!

Mt.Imagine December 18th, 2009 12:07 AM

I've been making more pickles from my garden--I've discovered some volunteer purple skinned radishes, which are great with cucumber. I planted some more peppers, tomatoes, mints, and lemon balm outside, and, excitedly, I started some tamarillo seedlings in my greenhouse today, after getting half a dozen delicious fruits at a roadside stand.

chickweed December 18th, 2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mt.Imagine (Post 427295)
I've been making more pickles from my garden--I've discovered some volunteer purple skinned radishes, which are great with cucumber. I planted some more peppers, tomatoes, mints, and lemon balm outside, and, excitedly, I started some tamarillo seedlings in my greenhouse today, after getting half a dozen delicious fruits at a roadside stand.

I am living vicariously through you!

w8in4dave December 18th, 2009 09:10 AM

Really......Now is the time to go to Hawaii... I so love Hawaii ..

Mt.Imagine December 19th, 2009 12:04 AM

Chickweed, I hope spring will come to you soon. I am so glad not to have the terribly long, cold PA winters I grew up with.

FritzDaKat December 19th, 2009 03:51 PM

Working on my Tan while I sit here and ponder as to where I'll be digging my compost pit.
Also pre-emptivly starting my leaf pile. Not like it will start composting without me in these parts,,,

Just 4'x4'x2' for now, but plenty more to rake. Have a number of trees around, cottonwood, fig, pomegranate and some others. About 14 date palms as well but those leaves will only do much good as a cover to help keep the humidity in the pile once it's going. They might compost in a few years I guess, but allot of palm oil i the pit might not be such a hot idea?? Wonder how some of the various sages around here might work??

louanne December 20th, 2009 01:30 AM

chicken poop..and straw

SherylGallant December 20th, 2009 08:36 AM

W8N4, get a small binder that opens so you can add pages to it. I keep magazine pages and such in clear plastic covers with holes for a binder in mine, as well as notebook paper to write on. You can also put in dividers for separating areas of the journal, ie seed list, tomatoes, peppers, etc. etc. I also have all my bought labels in plastic photo album pages added to the back too. I have tried other things but it gets so disorganized when you can't arrange the pages the way you need them after jotting down various ideas, etc. This kind of binder works best for me, anyway.

Would LOVE to go to Hawaii!! A foot of snow and -10 to -17 celsius temps. -23c wind factor. Heat lamp on in the chicken house.

Love my long johns and polar fleece!

ed mashburn December 21st, 2009 07:25 AM

Right now I'm picking onions and carrots and collards and broccoli. Got some brussels sprouts and cauliflower coming soon, too. I am going to put some compost on beds that I've cut broccoli from this winter-get them ready for early spring planting of peas and snow peas in about a month. Picking Satsumas and grapefruits from trees in the yard. I am ordering seeds for starting indoors- melons and tomatoes mostly- No matter where I live, winter seed catalogs get me through January until it's planting time. I'm going to shovel some chicken manure onto my compost bed and heat it up for this spring. Actually, I'm doing a lot in the dirt right now! Susnhine and rain to all gardeners- Ed Mashburn

Ajla December 21st, 2009 09:44 AM

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...er/th_leek.jpg

Trying to locate the leeks!

HillsideDigger December 21st, 2009 09:50 AM

Watching the snow melt.

Trisha December 21st, 2009 11:09 AM

I got a lovely garden journal at a used book store but rarely have time to make a real entry. I saw a "journal" that I could really use in a magazine while I waited for an appointment. Put up a bulletin board in your work area. Jot down quick notes and stick 'em up. When it's time to plan or order supplies, there you be. I can do it!

gerry December 22nd, 2009 05:21 PM

Excitement appears to be reigning at Idig as seeds arrive for spring planting! :) When is last frost again?????

SherylGallant December 23rd, 2009 12:46 PM

I have dozens and dozens of seeds waiting...
As soon as I think the Christmas rush is over at the Dollarstore, I am going to buy some soil. In the mean time, I think I might start making newspaper pots.

This is getting exciting!

whodat December 23rd, 2009 03:17 PM

I spent a portion of the day digging out those okra "trees" and clipping the old winged-bean vines from the fence. I've been meaning to get some more compost in there and had to clear out the place first.

startover gardener December 24th, 2009 08:08 AM

I am figuring out were to plant things,and what seeds to buy.I have a big wish list that needs to be puned down to fit my buget as well as the space aloted. I am trying to get my oders figured out in the next week or two.I got the pigs working the area over. Mainly just waiting.

gixxerific December 24th, 2009 09:00 AM

Just got done ordering more seeds from Bakers and SSE. Other than that watching my garden freeze and taking care of my indoor garden.

The seed packets are growing I'm itching for spring. Still there is a lot of work to be done, I need to de-rabbitize my garden. Make some cages for my Tom's, make a plan of what where will go where. It's gonna be a long Winter:(

tashak December 24th, 2009 02:28 PM

Trying to send good thoughts to the snowed and iced under the last two weeks chives, Asian greens, garlic, turnip greens, etc.
Snow in those areas is still deeper than my winter hiking boots, so I still haven't been out there to try to find them.
But I got my BC seeds for '10, and the BC catalog and the E&R catalog, and a neighbor has promised to save future empty small vitamin containers for me for seed saving and trading. Nice!

chickweed December 24th, 2009 05:10 PM

Waiting for it to warm up so I can try to raise all 4 of the the greenhouses - danged snow load - who needs it!?

lumina December 24th, 2009 10:03 PM

Covered the garden again to protect from frost....but is only a light frost, so should be fine.
Been eating greens all week, feeding the in-laws from the garden (& chicken coop). :)

w8in4dave December 25th, 2009 12:29 AM

Oh I threw some egg shell and some coffee grounds on it today.. It was pretty chili out this mornin I think stuff is breakin down pretty good..I'm getting excited about wintersowing :D After the holler~days :D

Southern-Pepper December 25th, 2009 02:34 AM

I need to be adding fert and hope to do it soon!

TastyofHasty December 26th, 2009 04:16 PM

Throwing wood ashes all over the place in the garden.

Crumbled up some well-dried comfrey and peppermint today.

Pretty soon, will be cutting fig cuttings.

chickweed January 2nd, 2010 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 432090)
Oh I threw some egg shell and some coffee grounds on it today.. It was pretty chili out this mornin I think stuff is breakin down pretty good..I'm getting excited about wintersowing :D After the holler~days :D

Wintersowing is on my list, too. I have never tried it before, but the whole process looks cool! Now if I can just make myself keep goods records......

Organaut January 2nd, 2010 01:29 PM

I am just waiting for the garden to dry from all the rain we are having so I can plant something. Also, I seriously need to order some sweet pepper seeds soon if I am to start any. I plant to set things up to start broccoli indoors.

garden_vato January 2nd, 2010 11:37 PM

have most of my c. chinense chile plants in peat pellets, and ive had a few of them sprout too. gotta hurry and get a lighting setup put together so i can put them in pots.

hikingonthru January 4th, 2010 07:18 PM

Preparing to prune the muscadine vines. Also, have to set up another composting bin to handle all the yard leaves I got this fall. Watching the late pea vines take a hit. Waiting to sow some turnips.

turbomicah January 5th, 2010 02:51 PM

Getting my seeds up.

Tilling up the garden.

sharpening tools.

Drooling over the thought of how awesome my little garden is going to be this year with all of these Cool Maters I bought from BC!! :cool:

Marti January 6th, 2010 06:46 PM

Covering up the few remaining tomato and pepper plants. Harvesting lettuce like crazy. Lamenting that tomato season will soon be over. :(

We're having crazy weather this year in Florida...Usually, we will have two days of cold, then 70 degree weather for weeks on end. This year, it's two weeks of nearly freezing/below freezing. Yuck.

I've dug up three pepper plants, and put them on my granddaughter's li'l red wagon. Bring it in every night, take it out every day. Hope they'll survive until spring this way.

lorna-organic January 6th, 2010 07:01 PM

Watering ornamental plants, plus trees, and the few greens the dogs didn't eat. I guess they don't like mache, arugula and spinach. They ate my collards, kale, rutabagas roots and all. They even chewed the tops off onions!

whodat January 6th, 2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorna-organic (Post 439253)
Watering ornamental plants, plus trees, and the few greens the dogs didn't eat. I guess they don't like mache, arugula and spinach. They ate my collards, kale, rutabagas roots and all. They even chewed the tops off onions!

Man-O-MAN!!!! I don't know how you can stand that! I know that your dogs are your babies but I would have a throw-down FIT if it was me!

My arugula is just now getting big enough to do something with them. I'd never had any so I was curious about it. That stuff has quite an interesting flavor, doesn't it?

lorna-organic January 6th, 2010 07:47 PM

I did throw a fit, believe me! Some of them make a career out of finding ways to get into the gardens. Others respect the rules that the gardens are off limits.

I hardly ever catch them in the act. GRRrrrr I know which ones are the rule breakers, they get the blame whether I caught them at it or not.

I like baby arugula leaves in salad or in sandwiches. I cook the large leaves. I throw them into soups, stews, and pots of beans. Sometimes I stir fry it and make a frittata out of it. Some arugula has a smoky flavor, some taste kind of bland, and some has a peppery quality to it. I don't care for arugula cooked up by itself as a pot of greens.

Arugula will winter over here, but will quit growing during the really cold weather. I have an old window propped up over a bed of arugula. Those plants are still growing because the window keeps the frost off them. The plants which have no protection have gone dormant. They will start growing again when the weather warms up, then they will bolt pretty quickly.

FritzDaKat January 6th, 2010 08:46 PM

So which is the peppery variety Lorna?

gixxerific January 8th, 2010 10:21 AM

What am I doing freezing my *** off and dreaming about this spring.

Arugula is my fav new item of 09. It taste so great and can be eaten in salads on sandwiches or use to spice things up as has been said here. I love it and there will be plenty this year trust me on that. By the way Arugula is actually a spice though I normally use it as a lettuce.

lorna-organic January 8th, 2010 10:42 AM

I have seen arugula referred to as a pot herb. Fritz, I purchased one variety, just called arugula from SSE seven years ago. I have been collecting seeds from my own since then. Each plant seems to have a slightly different taste. I don't know if it is time of harvest, maturity of the plant, amount of water, or something else which changes the flavor. I always have staggered plantings, my plants vary in maturity.

cucurbits January 8th, 2010 02:27 PM

Well finally started to clean up the garden which I should have started doing a month ago. Hopefully I'll cover the garden with a layer of manure in the next couple days.

Mt.Imagine January 8th, 2010 11:52 PM

I've just harvested my first ever real broccoli head (as previous attempts yielded only very small flowers and tons of aphids):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/...1d607cb5_o.jpg

Otherwise, I'm harvesting tomatoes, sweet peppers, and lots of greens (cilantro, magenta spreen, kale, miner's lettuce, dandelion...) every day. My tamarillo trees are starting to sprout, and I'm working on reinforcing the closed-in area they will be planted with netting so as to slow the wind. The papayas, which will also be planted there, are nearing transplant size by now! I've just entirely replanted one of my greenhouses, with okra, melons, litchi tomato (I recently pulled up the ones outside, upon realizing they need really HOT weather), cape gooseberry, melons, cucumbers....and everything is germinating there to, so that makes me happy. It looks like even my cutting celery and saltwort, outside, are coming up!

Heyoehkah January 9th, 2010 12:29 AM

I noticed blooms on one of the peach trees. Weather this week in the mid 70's has it thinking it is spring. Have yet to spray for leaf curl, better get to it.

TastyofHasty January 9th, 2010 10:20 AM

Re-read the Dormant Oil recipe posted on an earlier post on iDig, put "Ivory Snow" on my shopping list.

Throwing "compostables" kitchen scraps and coffee grounds around on the garden, looking at the snow, wondering if the "early purple sprouting broccoli" is going to survive the zero lows we've had.

garden_vato January 10th, 2010 07:54 PM

getting the chilesprouts moved into pots. ive had almost 40 sprouts so far. gotta get a new light, theres no more room under the one i have. and i still have sweet peppers, hot annuums, and tomatoes to start.....

onesojourner January 11th, 2010 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my grow light set up ready to roll. I will be starting my peppers in about 2 weeks.

w8in4dave January 11th, 2010 01:49 AM

Still throwing coffee grounds and such out there :D .. Starting to think about winter sowing

ed mashburn January 11th, 2010 08:16 AM

Good morning all. what am doing for my garden now? I am watching my citrus trees die. At this point after a week of sub-20s temps at night, I hope that my trees will have a limb or two that I can prune back to and save 5 years of re-planting and re-growing. I picked a couple of bushels of grapefruit and satsumas-tangerines before the chill- may be my last for a few years. I moved to south Alabama to get away from this cold weather stuff- it followed me. Am starting my artichokes and early broccoli in the seed starter and getting ready to start tomatoes and peppers in about a month. I hate cold. good digging, rain and sunshine in season to all- Ed Mashburn

gardencrazy January 11th, 2010 08:53 AM

This weekend I went through & organized the seeds I'm going to grow this coming season. I have a rough sketch of where things are going to go. I have to hike up to the garden & dump some compost, but 'll do that a little later this week when it's warmer (hopefully the snow will compact down & won't be up past my knees).

ctutt January 11th, 2010 10:08 AM

I'm working on a new garden calendar to help with planning my gardening activities for every month of the year. I intend to publish it in pdf format. If anyone would like my first version 1.0, I'd love to have your comments and feedback.

w8in4dave January 11th, 2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctutt (Post 442045)
I'm working on a new garden calendar to help with planning my gardening activities for every month of the year. I intend to publish it in pdf format. If anyone would like my first version 1.0, I'd love to have your comments and feedback.

Actually that might be nice , go with my new Garden Journal ...

chickweed January 11th, 2010 10:50 AM

Gathering seed packages from everywhere - it is amazing where I find some of them!

tashak January 11th, 2010 12:12 PM

Toying with the idea of researching the new low energy use led grow lights connected to a solar panel. I've heard from an Oregonian that these new grow lights are expensive but do work well for tomato starting.
Does anyone have these or know someone who does?

hikingonthru January 12th, 2010 09:19 PM

I just finished piling up the last of the leaves from the neighborhood. The man who mows up the leaves dumped them on my side yard. Good solution for everyone. Then it rained! And rained! I had to fork and haul them on a tarp and put them into a goat fencing compost pen. I was going to actually build a wooden compost bin, but I realized these wire fence pens actually blend a lot better with the woodlot behind the house. And all you have to do to turn the pile is to unlatch the fence and move it! Nice. I have probably 3-4 times the leaves I had last year. They made a huge difference in my beds.

My pea vines died back, but that is OK...just turn them back into the soil and I have not lost a thing! Same with my kale...which I have never had succumb to frost. Found some angled louffas on a vine I'd missed. Good seeds. Trying to figure out how to skin those louffas....harder than it looks!

lorna-organic January 12th, 2010 09:23 PM

Tashak, we had a member last year who sold LED lights. He had an extensive discussion thread about using LED lights as grow lights.

gerry January 13th, 2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctutt (Post 442045)

And I'd love to see what you've developed. I did a hamd made calendar a couple of weeks ago and am getting ready to do it all over again. :( Too hard to make changes to. Maybe I'll try to computerize it.

whodat January 14th, 2010 10:49 AM

I planted some taters yesterday. They were just some from the kitchen that had been around too long, with sprouts happening everywhere.

luckylad January 14th, 2010 01:30 PM

Since I'm more than likely having to move I'm potting up plants to truck out to wherever we wind up. Not fun, some plants will have to remain behind.:(

gerry January 15th, 2010 08:33 AM

Trying to build a half-low tunnel, about 5' high. Hope to get it up before the rain comes tomorrow night.

KentuckyGardenGirl January 17th, 2010 05:57 PM

The kids and I went outside in the beautiful sunny 52 degree weather today and worked in the yard. We have a creek that runs behind our house and it's so overgrown and nasty looking so we started at one end and pulled out broken branches, weeds, and all kinds of junk the previous owner tossed back there. We got a nice stretch done but have much more work to do yet before it's looking better. On the garden front, hubby and I took a tape measure and some wooden stakes out and measured off a 20x30 foot section in the back yard where my veggie garden will be. It's right outside the kitchen window and I can't wait to be able to look outside and see it growing there.

I found a big pot today and am going to start some Spanish onion seeds in it. I've never grown onions so it should be a fun undertaking. I love onions so I really hope they grow well.

chickweed January 17th, 2010 06:03 PM

Back into laying out rice paddies again. Already had an inch of rain today and I am now on battery back up because we will have thunderstorms for at least the next two hours if I am looking at the radar screen correctly. Water was standing all over by 11am - danged snow just melted.

Billy B January 17th, 2010 07:22 PM

Built a frame tohold up our bird netting over our blue berries, and Pilcked a salad for dinner from the cold frame.

word-doctor January 18th, 2010 05:28 PM

I am in the middle of paying a terrible price for the sin of living in gumbo clay country. I've had a 16x4 and a 24x4 bed for maybe 7 years. They're made of landscape timbers, many of which are scavenged. Along the way I added bricks around and under the frames, hoping to keep things level. Now I'm digging those suckers up with a crowbar and my bare hands, and the clay sure don't like lettin' go of something once it sets for a spell.

One 6x3x12" bed is done, and I expect to have another one in by the end of next weekend. I hope to have everything else done by tomato and corn time...

tashak January 18th, 2010 09:03 PM

Lorna, according to a poster on another website, apparently there are some lower energy use new leds for indoor gardens/seedstarting that are new in the past few months; apparently there is a new multipurpose shop in Oregon that has been gettng a lot of business with these from indoor tomato starters and growers.
I'm still waiting for more info and details from the poster.
Not originally developed in the US--maybe out of the Netherlands?

tashak January 18th, 2010 09:09 PM

Brouht indoors one of those large c.5" tall clear plastic salad containers with potting soil in case I get the urge to plant leeks indoors during our next week of storm conditions. Outdoor bag of potting soil finally thawed out so I could do this.

lumina January 20th, 2010 02:28 PM

Am hoping my wonderful winter garden doesn't wash down the hill. So far the rock & wood walls are keeping the lower end supported. Though I'm sure I'm still losing some beautiful (brought in & paid for) top soil to these torrential rains & winds. :( It's also giving me, the goats & the chickens a bit of cabin fever. :) We need it, but why must it all come at once?

Desert Rat January 21st, 2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumina (Post 447374)
Am hoping my wonderful winter garden doesn't wash down the hill. So far the rock & wood walls are keeping the lower end supported. Though I'm sure I'm still losing some beautiful (brought in & paid for) top soil to these torrential rains & winds. :( It's also giving me, the goats & the chickens a bit of cabin fever. :) We need it, but why must it all come at once?

Lumina, hope you don't lose that precious topsoil and your garden fares well in the wild wind and rain you've been getting. It didn't dump it's load completely on you as it has moved our way and we've been getting it for days too. My poor little waterlogged garden is a mud hole right now and I know it will take a long time for it to dry out enough to plant. I know we desperately needed the rain but I second the "all at once" sentiment. We're probably going to get 4 to 5 inches this week, we only got a little over 3 inches last year total so I know I shouldn't complain but still..... On the upside, my 65 gal. rainbarrel is full and then some, wish I had more!

PCKGRat January 22nd, 2010 04:11 AM

Picking out Koi and turtles to put into it, now that it has become a pond. I suppose I should be getting alligators. The garden looks a bit more like a swamp. Yes, I will be throwing some alligators into my sw...arden or gamp whichever you all prefer.

It will be very much like what was done in the Confederate General from Big Sur (Brautigan) to cut down on the frogs.:D Though they haven't arrived, I keep looking though, like frogs will drop from the sky to be in my garden/swamp or something.

chickweed January 22nd, 2010 04:17 AM

Waiting for the tide to recede so I can clean it up.....

Billy B January 22nd, 2010 06:22 PM

Started some grape cuttings today and planted some spinach and lettuce in the cold frame

FritzDaKat January 22nd, 2010 09:37 PM

Trying to write a project report / proposal for the Boss Lady re: the Gardening project.

I hate writing reports... Almost enough to make me say <____> it and just go with a Guerrilla gardening project on BLM land, but thats a no go considering I'd have to hike in all the water....

This <_______> <_____>...

:rolleyes:

I guess it just seems so self-explanatory in my mind,,, causing me allot of frustration....

FritzDaKat January 22nd, 2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCKGRat (Post 448248)
Though they haven't arrived, I keep looking though, like frogs will drop from the sky to be in my garden/swamp or something.

Well just let Moses'es people go and ya' wont have to worry!! Wakka~Wakka! :D

cucurbits January 23rd, 2010 01:06 AM

Getting the garden ready for this year and have started pruning. I also have a lot of grafting to do after going hog wild at a scion exchange last sunday. Here's a list of some of the ones I got.

Apple-
Braeburn
Gravenstein
King David
Spitzenburg
Honeycrisp
King of Tompkins
McIntosh

Cherry

Plum

Mulberry

Fig-
Desert King
Grise something

Nectarine

Persimmon

Pluot-
Flavor Supreme

I also got 3 chinese chesnut seedlings for only $3. I might have gotten a peach variety. Some I don't remember what varieties I got so they don't have any varieties listed. I also need to plant a lot of things out too.

PCKGRat January 23rd, 2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzDaKat (Post 448733)
Well just let Moses'es people go and ya' wont have to worry!! Wakka~Wakka! :D

My people? :rolleyes:

awildseedvt January 23rd, 2010 01:36 AM

trying to convince my brother to let me cut and use some of his trees :D
i just need a dozen or so hemlocks under 5"diameter, it's not like i'm cutting his valuable lumber (that he'll never use anyway), i just want to thin out the stuff that won't grow up to much, thereby helping the more established trees

I need a greenhouse this year, and if i can get free lumber, it should only cost about $50 for an 8x18 setup :D

EDIT: any suggestions to sweet talk a stubborn family member? :p

FritzDaKat January 23rd, 2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCKGRat (Post 448827)
My people? :rolleyes:

Are you Moses? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by awildseedvt (Post 448829)

Baked or fried things always catch my attention. ;)

chickweed January 23rd, 2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awildseedvt (Post 448829)
trying to convince my brother to let me cut and use some of his trees :D
i just need a dozen or so hemlocks under 5"diameter, it's not like i'm cutting his valuable lumber (that he'll never use anyway), i just want to thin out the stuff that won't grow up to much, thereby helping the more established trees

I need a greenhouse this year, and if i can get free lumber, it should only cost about $50 for an 8x18 setup :D

LOL - I blackmail my brothers:D

gixxerific January 23rd, 2010 09:17 AM

I'm getting ready to till my garden since it's so dry and perfect for tilling.

Yeah right:eek:

awildseedvt January 23rd, 2010 04:10 PM

hmmmm

plan a.) fried dough
plan b.) blackmail

i like it :D

lol

i think i might get myself (including my face) rearranged if i try and blackmail him.... :eek:

SherylGallant January 25th, 2010 08:53 AM

AWildSeedVT, why not offer to trade him some fresh veggies form the greenhouse?

My garden is under snow and frozen solid. I am, however, starting seeds indoors and putting in lighting for them.

chickweed January 25th, 2010 08:59 AM

I am planning a toy boat regatta - need to wait until the white caps in the paths - er, channels - die down.

gerry January 25th, 2010 09:30 AM

Looks like just about everyone's getting rained out. So much to do outside, but not in the mud and the rain. I guess my job this year is to sort seeds and prep them for the next train. Got the herbs ready for the train this week or next. I do wish I could get less than 150 of each seed, but they don't seem to sell them that way. :(

Waiting for the trains,

gerry

lumina January 25th, 2010 09:56 AM

Eating yummy lettuce & radishes, and am sad that it will soon be gone (I haven't planted anything new in quite some time).

TastyofHasty January 25th, 2010 10:08 AM

When the weather gets warm, little by little, I'm digging out bermuda grass that rooted all over last summer. It's heavy work with the mattock, so I do about an hour and quit ... start up again the next warm day ... good exercise for back and arms, and gets me outdoors in the fresh air when there aren't any ticks or chiggers. :)

OneoftheEarls January 25th, 2010 10:14 AM

I bought potting soil, one 72 starter tray, a three tier rack and planted Micro Toms.

chickweed January 25th, 2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TastyofHasty (Post 449887)
When the weather gets warm, little by little, I'm digging out bermuda grass that rooted all over last summer. It's heavy work with the mattock, so I do about an hour and quit ... start up again the next warm day ... good exercise for back and arms, and gets me outdoors in the fresh air when there aren't any ticks or chiggers. :)

The ticks are still here:eek: I do "tick patrol" on the animal everyday. The dog is about the same size as the cat, so I put them in my lap and they think they are getting massaged. Spoiled animals!

TastyofHasty January 25th, 2010 10:18 AM

oh chickweed, :eek: and I thought WE had it bad!

lumina January 25th, 2010 11:28 AM

This is the first year we've had our property (since last March) and December/January were the worst for ticks. Actually saw one in March, then none until Nov. Last few weeks have been horrible. We had a week in the 20's, guess that doesn't help.

SherylGallant January 25th, 2010 02:26 PM

Chickweed, maybe what you need are guineas!
Guineas for tick control

chickweed January 31st, 2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherylGallant (Post 450000)
Chickweed, maybe what you need are guineas!
Guineas for tick control

I keep telling hubs that! Will you talk to him? The next time NASA sends him out of town for a couple of weeks, I might have to "find" some running lose in the woods - complete with a coop:D

TastyofHasty January 31st, 2010 08:44 PM

That will be an amazing coincidence!!:)

chickweed February 1st, 2010 09:36 AM

Won't it? Especially when the woods are at a farm 2 hours from here! Didn't say whose woods:D

w8in4dave February 1st, 2010 09:48 AM

Aghhhhhhhhhh Ticks!! Ohhhhh I hate those things!! How did you get it off ?? I have tried ways people say.. Hot match head and such .. I have never had one back out .. I have always had to pull it out myself..Ughhhhh gives me goose bumbs..Poor puppy..

Dramaqueen February 1st, 2010 10:16 AM

I aint doing a dog gone thing, looking at the mess and wanting some volunteers, who will work for food LMAO

w8in4dave February 1st, 2010 11:10 AM

Nuttin honey

chickweed February 1st, 2010 11:36 AM

Watching the snow melt.....

whodat February 1st, 2010 11:42 AM

checked on the woims. They're happily munching away.

I had two pepper plants that were given to me, about two years ago. One was a "mild Jalapeno" and the other was a very bright purple, or violet colored ornamental pepper. They got together and made a love child that popped up in the garden last summer. I saved a few of the seeds from it and planted them in a container on top of the freezer. I've noticed that some of them came up now. I'm curious what they will do. I really liked the plant and peppers from last year's volunteer, although they were hotter than what I normally like. They made very nice looking peppers, but I hope to see a few come about with more of the violet hue and less green or "black" like this past summer's were. If I had lots of space to devote to playing, I would have saved a lot more seeds from it. I gave away LOOOOOOOOOTS of peppers from that one plant.

hikingonthru February 1st, 2010 08:33 PM

Watching the snow melt off the trees...well, ice. Looking at my little raised beds full of five years of composting love, my big old pile of composting leaves and wondering what I will do with them when we move (if God wills it, the offer we made on a house in a better school districe and nicer neighborhood will go through without a hitch.). I cannot see in the covenants and restrictions where there are no gardens, but I also don't see a single garden in the whole neighborhood. I see lots of very nice and immaculate lawns and not a single garden.

libsead February 1st, 2010 08:35 PM

Snow and more Snow. Did i say Snow?:D

cottagequeen February 1st, 2010 09:31 PM

Just dumped about 8 big packages of used coffee grounds from Starbucks on my garden. Ordering seeds, wintersowing and planning!

chickweed February 2nd, 2010 12:35 AM

Looking for a spot that has thawed out enough in the "pet cemetery" to bury hubs if he stays home one more day! Snow bound is one thing - snowbound with husband under foot is cruel and unusual punishment!

bughunter99 February 2nd, 2010 08:38 AM

Staring resentfully at the snow coming down again and getting ready to harvest some worm poop from their condo.

chickweed February 2nd, 2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bughunter99 (Post 454481)
Staring resentfully at the snow coming down again and getting ready to harvest some worm poop from their condo.

I want one of those! Hubs says we already have them - raised beds and compost pile. We bought worm eggs for the first big raised bed and waited like expected parents for them to hatch! If we keep getting winters like this, I am going to put one of those condos in the house, regardless!

turbomicah February 2nd, 2010 12:00 PM

Growing my Mater seedlings.
Planted about 200 Coleus seeds. (for ornamental plants around my shady pool & gifts for family)
Mixing soil for these seedlings.
waiting on the ground to dry so I can start tilling.
digging up all my flower beds and mixing the old soil with good soil, pearlite, peat moss, & compost.
ALL MY LEAVES ARE RAKED and the Pool is Clean !! :-)