IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

hikingonthru January 19th, 2009 08:06 PM

What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

This past weekend, I just had enough of work and being indoors. My little garden area looked really shaggy and so I set to work on it.

I laid a tarp beside each of my raised beds. I then shoveled out all the soil onto the tarp. It had gotten down to freezing and the top couple inches was frozen and all the weeds and roots were coming up in big chunks. These got tossed into the area that is not raised beds to amend that soil (red clay). I also did a grub search. Those nasty little cutworm grubs are really common and I find sometimes nearly a dozen in one 4x8 bed! I am sure there are more I missed. I had some leaves I saved from fall. To what little soil was left in the bottom of the beds (which are all told 2 feet deep) I mixed in leaves and mixed really thick and well. On top of that dirt. Then a layer of leaves for a couple inches. Then more dirt. Then half rotted hay in a layer. Then more dirt. Then more leaves. Then about 4-5 inches of dirt on top. What little fresh kitchen scraps and eggshells I had got added deep and incorporated with the first mixing of leaves. One bed is 4 foot below groundline for growing deep running root crops (sweet taters) and garlic. That was fun to empty up!

I STILL got a ton of leaves left. It was not much really...and I am not sure what good this year...if any...it will really do. but I had fun doing it!

Finally, a layer or chicken wire to keep my dogs from doing their own mixing of the layers.

spencerules January 19th, 2009 08:26 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

I've got two beds that had winter squash in them last year and the squash went crazy, so I didn't get good grass control over them (first year and all). So I'm killing out the fescue with some plastic mulch. The beds are only 70 ft or so, so it's not too much of a trial.

I'm waiting on my soil tests so I can lime and then cover the beds with chopped leaves. I got the hook up with the local university, so I've got around a 100 huge bags of leaves, hopefully it'll be enough.

Dreaming of planting potatoes and lettuce...

tomatoman223 January 19th, 2009 08:53 PM

Looking out the back window and wishing I could do something out there,but with 6 inches of snow and frost to two feet I think I would be wasting my time:).

I do have some basil growing in a pot,at least getting some green in my life till' spring.

bellzeybubba January 19th, 2009 08:56 PM

I spent my weekend on my ornamental bed, cutting back the terribly overgrown perennials and mulching.

The veggie bed still has stuff growing in it and I'm still floundering around still trying to figure out what to do with it next, so I let it be while I tackled the area that's more familiar.

lorna-organic January 19th, 2009 09:07 PM

I finished pulling dead plants from my produce area. I collected a couple of bags of leaves in town to add to compost. I've also been clearing a new area. The area is outside of the house fence. I have a couple of acres, about one third is fenced in around the house for the safety of my dogs. I'm going to add additional fencing and a gate for a new produce area just beyond the house yard. Anyway, I was surprised to see how different the soil is in the new area. The house yard has sandy soil. The new area has loamy red clay soil. It digs up really easily. Might be some really good soil!

flaquita January 19th, 2009 09:14 PM

I covered half of the future summer squash bed with fresh horse manure and a tarp, now have to pik up more poo to cover the other half. I doubled the size of my garden by laying down composted horse manure and bedding, am now adding Alpaca manure and chicken manure to that to get it ready for the spring/summer crops. Meanwhile I am watering my kohlrabi and greens and radishes and counting the days to harvesting all of them. In the next couple of days I will have to find new homes for cauliflower babies and transplant tomato and pepper and tomatillo babies...
I am trying for 4 season gardening here....
Andrea

BrianS January 19th, 2009 09:51 PM

Earlier I set the garden on fire then shoveled a new load of turkey manure on it. Cant do anything now coz the ground is frozen as hard as a brick lol

Blanesgarden January 19th, 2009 10:18 PM

Moving the Chicken Tractor about...
Digging up last years Rows/Patches/Mounds...
Adding Lime, Bone Meal, and Catfish Guts...
Piling on in the Leaf bend...
Turning compost...
Planning on grinding Stumps in the Lot...
Chain Saw/Weed Eater maintenance...
Burning more timber, and spreading ash...
Chasing 8-ball(my cat) out of RBs...
Sharpening Tools...Shovel/Spade/Knives/Blades..etc...
Collecting Rain Water?

Other than that, Not much...Kinda slow right now:D

gulfcoastguy January 19th, 2009 10:35 PM

I spent today getting people's requests for my extra tomato, pepper, and eggplant transplants. My new seed starter kit has 72 cells and I allways have way more seed of each type than I have room for plants. My folks were talking about how expensive groceries are getting so they might be plowing up new garden space this year.

camochef January 20th, 2009 01:39 AM

I'm looking out the window at the snow that's covering it wondering... when will it go above freezing so it will begin to melt? and... when will this stop, it's driving me crazy???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q4cb...eature=related

redneckplanter January 20th, 2009 01:46 AM

praying....

TennOC January 20th, 2009 04:59 AM

Making a new plan, with this site.....
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

gardencrazy January 20th, 2009 05:26 AM

There's a foot & a half of snow out there. I'm still composting. Trugging through the snow to get to the garden. I'm also participating in seed swaps. I mostly plotted out what I was going to grow last week. Next month, I'll winter sow some and start some seeds inside.

CountryKitty January 20th, 2009 06:45 AM

Sorting out seeds saved/leftover from the previous couple of years and trying like mad to figure out how I wound up with 24 OP varieties of tomato...plus one freaking F1 hybrid.

Trying like mad to figure out how to plant all of them on my place, with enough space between to prevent cross-pollinating, so I can save all fresh seed for planting/trading NEXT January.

Digging out all my seed starting stuff out of the shed and trying like mad to figure out if I have enough for all the seeds I want.

Cussing like mad because I still have to prune all my fruit trees.

Good thing there's a madhouse 20 miles down the road. ;)

Silentmeow January 20th, 2009 07:25 AM

I'm watching 21 deer fight over the brussel sprouts I left in the garden! They clean off the stalks every winter so nothing goes to waste. It's fun to watch them dig through the deep snow until they locate the stalk, then they fight over who gets to eat the treasure! In the meantime I'm drawing plans for the garden this Spring. I love winter but this year I really understand why people winter in Florida!

LibertyGardener January 20th, 2009 07:29 AM

Starting seeds. Babying new starts. Hoarding newspaper and cardboard. Looking for rotted manure, compost and rain barrels. Looking for trellising materials. Ordering more seeds, waiting on the mail. Trying to convince my husband that plants like pee, and we should save it. :eek: :o

Kiddos and I will be out tomorrow covering the new bed areas with cardboard or black plastic, and building the cold frame. I need to go pick up my straw bales too.

Ajla January 20th, 2009 08:18 AM

A cold nip still in the air, but sunny, so I got myself some parsnips, carrots and leek from the garden to go in a pumpkin soup, and some radicchio, mache and miner's lettuce for my salad Tidied up a bit, got my flask of tea out and noticed the first tricolour violets.This feels soooooooooooo good!

lorna-organic January 20th, 2009 08:21 AM

You are seeing signs of spring, Ajla? Crocus and wild verbena are the first to produce flowers on my property. The verbena has sprouted all over the place, but no sign of buds yet.

Ajla January 20th, 2009 08:35 AM

The lilac and blackcurrant have really fat buds!

RozieDozie January 20th, 2009 08:48 AM

In our home/yard garden, beds are full of winter veggies and I still have lots of herbs. I picked a pound and a half of green peas yesterday for dinner. New peas (snow/sugar snap) are planted and I planted radishes from Baker Creek yesterday. Onion sets will go in next weekend.

I'm out of room now in this leased yard. Only one sunny spot left because of the fast growing hackberry tree that is shading everything. The one remaining sunny spot is where all of the cables are buried, so I'm going to put in a long, narrow lasagna garden one cement block high so as not to disturb the wires. Hope it doesn't cause a problem... :o

I've started collecting cardboard boxes for the bottom and hubs went yesterday and got a pickup load of free wood mulch from the tree trimming company nearby.

I'm going to make the 50' long lasagna garden bed next weekend. I've never done one before but I'm excited about the prospect!

louanne January 20th, 2009 10:53 AM

I am not doing too much right now...ground is way hard...other than planting a few seeds..pretty much everything is doing it on its own for now....and I probably would ahve waited on the seed starting of tomato pepper and eggplant..if I could have afforded to get away for a few weeks...
Ihave decreased my numbers considerably thisyear...
My cold frame ground area is still to cold to do anything with....
and my body does not cooperate in the cold...to much pain...and I dispise admiting that more than anything...
a warm day would be nice so I can stay outside....but I am guessing I am learning the extreme art of patience and gratefulnes of just being alive....
I am working on it...its just not happening easily today...
Mygarlic is doing well...my hot house it doing well....I should ahve a few more sees to stick into a few more pots today later.....
and then its off to another week of work tomorrow till I can hope for days off with some warm sun...and I mean HOPE....

tashak January 20th, 2009 11:24 AM

I have about 1-2 hours midafternoon now when it is warm enough to water or saw dead downed tree branches or dig stones up from garden plots or put hand torn shredded newspaper down in the bottom of dug up garden plots and then shovel some dirt on top of it.
Still catalog dreaming, and hope to order after I get to the credit union later this week and then billpay, then seed order.

reubenT January 20th, 2009 12:15 PM

starin at the dream books (seed catalogs) and watchin the snow fall.

DebbieG January 20th, 2009 01:56 PM

I'm with all you in the colder climates....Just watching it snow.... hoping for a thaw and warmer temps...wishing the sun would shine....and dreaming of tomatoes.....<sigh>....

Oh well, Spring will get here someday, after all it is ONLY the middle of January!

DebbieG

Cliff Timmons January 20th, 2009 02:00 PM

I just burned off the asparagus yesterday.

ovenbird January 20th, 2009 02:03 PM

I am thanking God for the protective blanket of snow on my garden. Keeps wind from stealing soil. Keeps soil from drying out. Insulates microbes from extreme cold. It's all good.

Thanking God I am in So CA and not in Iowa to see the snow.

morgan January 20th, 2009 02:31 PM

Eating huge bowls of fresh lettuce and arugula!

Imp January 20th, 2009 02:33 PM

I am plotting on some of the dairy farmers a couple towns over- on the manure piles they have sitting about!

This sounds sooooo very strange....

I have designs on their manure piles.

Only on a garden forum could I openly state such an intention, LOL!

Locavore January 20th, 2009 02:55 PM

We've had a flood of freaky unseasonal weather here in the bay area--up to the 70's and 80's in some areas :eek:! Among all the many reasons this is a bad thing is the small personal detail that this false spring is making me CRAZY TO PLANT THINGS!!!!

I'm being good and restraining myself, though. I've planted a few onions and garlic, some random other things that might do ok now.

I"m spreading compost and cleaning up beds. Contemplating what to do with certain choice spots; wondering how I'll find room to isolate all the beans I want to plant. Turning the compost.

Harvested a ton of rosemary off the huge bush to make some more room in that plot. I started a bunch of chard, spinach, and other spring greens in the greenhouse, and tending them. Getting ready to start tomatoes, peppers, gooseberries, etc.

Oh, and trying to figure out how I can grow potatoes in a tub, as was suggested somewhere on the forum. I've only got one tub at the moment, so I might have to break down and buy some more.

MOstly, though, WAITING FOR SPRING!!!:D

louanne January 20th, 2009 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay so the sun was out this afternoon....and it got near 40...so I threw on some layers and went outside whilst I ran clean up and defrag and such on the 'puter.
We sized up the new 'tater bed...filled a few new "box gardens" with soil mix that went into the hot house to be planted later....
I checked up on the strawberry patch and dug some worm castings into it....and remulched...
the biggest fun of the day was turning the area that the sunchokes were in and pulling up a real nice harvest of them...some we are gonna eat...others got replanted

Worked on the( I am gonna stop calling it a cold frame it is now being called/will be a hoop( once I put the hoops in) cause it isnt warming up as it is....and I don't have the glass..ehh..it'll happen sometime....

so there...I did something...

Imp January 20th, 2009 07:20 PM

I got off my behind and did clean up the front just a bit and turned over two small areas, planted one with a lettuce mix ( buttercrunch, a red looseleaf, and something else, I'd have to look at the label now!) and mixed in some beets and a bit of lucullus (sp?) chard as well. Plopped a few turnips in the center area- I think they stayed pretty much in the center, no problem if they shifted.

I am a bit more tired, but it sure was nice to use that fork and play in the dirt some.

OneoftheEarls January 21st, 2009 08:11 AM

Resting and Praying...

it is only 7 degrees out

:eek:

Lemon Water January 21st, 2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locavore (Post 204774)
We've had a flood of freaky unseasonal weather here in the bay area--up to the 70's and 80's in some areas :eek:! Among all the many reasons this is a bad thing is the small personal detail that this false spring is making me CRAZY TO PLANT THINGS!!!!

I'm being good and restraining myself, though. I've planted a few onions and garlic, some random other things that might do ok now.

You too huh? I've been tempted a few times to go out and plant some warm season crops just because it's so sunny and warm out and it feels like spring already! :D Today's a bit rainy and cold out though, which is a good thing cause now I've got a little sense knocked into me.

I need to rain to soften up my soil so I can finish planting the last of my garlic and shallots. I just started some peppers and tomatoes, and am finishing transplanting the cooler season leafy greens and peas. I didn't plan my lettuce quite right, so it'll be a few more weeks before I get anymore.

redneckplanter January 21st, 2009 10:48 PM

fixing to go buy some starter trays...and buying a rake so i can throw my grass clippings in a mulch pile this year.....

catkittycat January 22nd, 2009 10:45 AM

just got our seeds. still a month away from starting any seeds here. we did clean up some plots last weekend. finally cut down the old dried up basil and pepper plants. crushed some up and put them in the compost. pretty cold here still. going to put some clearance bulbs in the ground this weekend, daffodils and crocus. :)

Texadus January 22nd, 2009 05:47 PM

well we have cabbage, beets, and carrots still in our garden not many beets or carrots but 2 1/2 50ft rows of cabbages...

and 3? or 4? 50ft beds of assorted greens... which the rabbits and poultry are truly enjoying!!

Dh tilled 5 50ft rows and half of 3 more on Monday... our back beds are still too wet...

we planted peas today, but aack I have less seed than I thought so I need to order some....

I have 2 potted tomatoes we keep moving in & out based on weather...

Hoping to have my 15yos mow the garden tomorrow before it rains...

working on seed wish lists and garden plans, pacing off where I want my herb garden fenced (we free range our chickens)...

Apple-Pi January 22nd, 2009 05:51 PM

I set up another cold frame today. When the frost gets out of the ground under it (added layer of clear plastic) I have several greens to move out of the green house. I walked around a while today and thunk about it all.

GardenChic January 22nd, 2009 06:19 PM

~ Circled and highlighted all of the seeds I want to order from Baker Creek and Seed Savers Exchange, ready to order. I will take care of it this weekend.

~ Organized my existing seed packets in a shoebox with dividers so I don't order what I don't need! (Inventory is a good thing.)

~ Cleared off two shelves on a storage rack in my mudroom to dedicate to all of my gardening "clutter" (seeds, tools, greenhouses, vases, pots, etc.)

~ Weeded since the cold killed off most of it and cleared out the beds.

~ Soil was prchased on clearance and stored to fill new beds.

~ I am getting ready to take a trip next week to purchase lumber for many more raised beds (hopefully I can get cedar) and will probably have to rent a truck to do so!

~ Buy a small, but good, gas tiller while I'm there.

~ I am going to start planting various seeds tonight in my mini greenhouses with the Jiffy pellets.

~ I will be trimming back my hibiscus and pruning my orange tree and clean up the rest (dead-heading).

~ Looking forward to getting our Florida weather back, not 32 degrees!

Jennifer3141 January 22nd, 2009 07:20 PM

My garden is buried under two feet of snow.

So I'm seed shopping and picking out potatoes.

And I'm shopping for an indoor system to grow seeds. I stay very clean "gardening" this way. ;)

Jen

TastyofHasty January 22nd, 2009 07:27 PM

Tilled two garden beds today. :D

Also took two sweet potatoes I grew last year & put them in jars of water to hopefully grow some new slips.

Murph January 22nd, 2009 08:54 PM

Finalizing my seed order and planning a forest garden!

SpaceAge January 22nd, 2009 09:39 PM

I guess I accidentally scored some more seeds ... :rolleyes:

I was at Home Depot buying a few more of those 50 space greehouse dealios that are $2.00 and a sack of Perlite ... and I bumped into a seed rack :eek:

Dill

Sweet Basil

Lemon Cucumbers

Mint / Spearmint

Oregano

Lavender

Sage

capebuffalo January 22nd, 2009 10:11 PM

praying that the snow melts off it , so i'll be able to put some of my peppers i have started in before august. :rolleyes:

capebuff

Lanna January 24th, 2009 07:14 PM

I finally finished ordering seeds. I still have a nice 1-2 foot layer of packed down snow-turned-ice in the yard.

I did map out what I wanted to plant and where with my handy graph paper, but it's definitely in pencil - only turns to darker pencil or pen after things are in the ground. :)

Cookinmom January 24th, 2009 08:55 PM

Watching snow peas, carrots & onions coming along. Cutting side shoots from broccoli. Planted 50 hills/holes of potatoes. Still have 11 more small plots to dig/weed/mulch/manure. Starting seeds in the spare bedroom under flourescent lights.

woody January 27th, 2009 07:06 AM

I have moved my cattle panels that I bend into arches for pole beans to their new location. While the ground is still frozen I like to dump loads of compost around the garden with the front loader. Then I can put it where it is needed later with the shovel. I'm hauling manure and mixing it with bark mulch from the mill. Mixing helps to mellow it out for spreading sooner.

I've brought up a couple of loads of leaves to spread and burn on the asparagus bed. I'm also cleaning up the area around my shiitake logs.http://woodysrockyridge.blogspot.com/

Dramaqueen January 27th, 2009 08:34 AM

watching the weather and hoping for this yuck winter to hurry up and go by quickly. I noticed some lilac, peonies and crocuses budding out already yet we are still about 4C:rolleyes:

I dread the leaf clean up, husband didnt clean up the walnut and other tree leaves so it is one yucky mess out there, and not to mention the weeds, they have not died, not even with -12C:eek:

hikingonthru January 27th, 2009 07:50 PM

Went today and worked on another bed...it was just a raised bed not sided...just dirt hilled up level. Was going to work in leaves, but decided this bed needs to be sided in...to off to farm to forage for scrap lumber this Thursday a.m.

After that it will be mixing the leaf mulch into the dirt. I WAS pleasantly surprised to find that I had some nice dark dirt in that bed under all the bermuda grass (probably why I had all that bermuda grass there). I was also pleasantly surprised to find the ground damp and moist from the top on down. Time to move the edging on the front bed to allow for more ornamental edibles.

I did get all the bermuda grass I could out of that bed. Found that one of those narroe four toothed cultivating rakes held with the teeth flat to the ground and pointed back at my toes would slide under the bermuda grass stems and, if lifted slowly, helps to pull up masses of that stuff at a time! I think this stuff should be called 'Satan's grass".

Some years back, a young fellow came into the barbershop and was talking about his new house. He was lamenting he could not get grass to grow there. The barber, an avid gardener, told him to plow it up and put in a garden...he'd get all the grass he ever wanted!!!:p:D

lorna-organic January 27th, 2009 08:09 PM

You had me chuckling with the barber's joke, HoT. I'm still getting a big handful of greens each week from the remnants of my produce garden.

My indoor hyacinths have bloomed. The indoor Amaryllis has two bud stalks. The buds are opening, showing red petals. The paperwhite flowers stayed fresh looking for at least two weeks. They are fading now, but still very fragrant.

One-Eyed Screech Owl January 28th, 2009 01:15 PM

Not much I can do with the snow and all, and the temperature kind of thwarts any thought of outdoor planting. But, I'm not worried, besides snow filled drive-ways I can entertain myself sliding anyways.:)

gardentoad January 28th, 2009 01:23 PM

About all I can do right now is sort through my seeds and work on a garden plan. Too much snow on the garden to do much else. It will probably be April before I actually go out and work in the garden. That is if all the snow has melted by then.

melodyelf January 29th, 2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murph (Post 206449)
Finalizing my seed order and planning a forest garden!

what is a forest garden?

hikingonthru January 29th, 2009 07:29 PM

Today, I expanded the flower bed in front of the house...move it forward about 5-6 feet (had to dig up the edging and dig it back in...thankfully the ground was nice and soft!). The bed is about 20 feet wide. My plan is to divide and replant the stella and day lillies I dug up along the front edge. I am going to put in some herbs in front of the holly bushes. Between those and the lillies up front, I want to put in some strawberry plants this time! I'd like to have the boys be able to pick and eat while they are playing. May add a few more blueberry bushes as well. I have but 3 at present.

Izzy January 29th, 2009 09:20 PM

Been a good day to stay home and work in the garden:

Dug out compost pit and added to previously double dug bed for potatoes - Kennebec & Red LaSoda to be planted in few weeks

Snipped fresh dill, green onions for fresh baked dill bread w/ horseradish for a little kick

Cleaned out all tom plants except 2 still producing

Planted one last row beets, spinach, and quinoa

Fretted over eggplants - lots of blossoms but none set - too cool

Began new beds, side by side, to compare the benefits of adding charcoal (terra preta) in one, and seaweed in other - in addition to compost in each. This will be my summer project that will hopefully show results this fall.

Jennifer3141 January 30th, 2009 08:56 AM

I bought my first coir pots for the eggplants the other day and my first bag of seedling soil. I'm just waiting for the plant stand/light thingie to get here so I can start!

tashak January 30th, 2009 08:04 PM

Digging in about 6" below soil surface a lot of shredded newspaper to aid in holding moisture. And two medium sized plots have had the big bag of neighbor's leaves dug in. The other bag of leaves from her is partialled out among the tire planters.
If we are in another drought year, the soil will need all the moisture conserving help it can get. From the news this week from CA and now official NV drought news, I may need to do more drought planning.

strong eagle January 30th, 2009 08:43 PM

I'm on the upper edge of the massive icestorm that hit the Ozarks this past week, but was lucky [?] enough to not have the solid ice, just 6 inches of sleet and snow. All I can do right now is look after the greenhouse and coldframes. But I was lucky, and energetic enough to get 3 large compost piles completed last week, just before the storm hit and they are heatting up allready and melting the ice off the tops. We have a 55 degs "meltday" tomorrow so maybe this next week I can turn the piles and get them on a 2nd heatup. I know the main garden will be too soggy for me to start turning it over. Strong

whodat January 30th, 2009 09:20 PM

I dug out half of my big compost bin. It was still nice and steamy in the middle, but the bottom third had some of the best looking compost that I've gotten from it yet. No grubs in it this time! They would have been bar-b-qued by that batch! One of my neighbors has a huge pile of leaves that I sure want to get my hands on before they torch it.

WM Amateur January 31st, 2009 01:34 AM

What am I doing in my garden right now?

Cross country skiing!!!

louanne January 31st, 2009 09:14 PM

tomorrow I have to get water to the green house....HA..hope the hose is visible from under the remaining snow and ice....
bought a soil tester kit today.....will see if anything Ihave done had helped????

I think I am gonna try to turn some soil tomorrow in areas that have been covered.....I really want to put root crops in the new cold frame....hoop thingy....hummmmmmmmmmm.....

bellzeybubba February 1st, 2009 12:06 PM

More work on the ornamental beds - serious pruning, feeding, mulching. One of my precious antique roses has blackspot for the first time ever :( so I sprayed it with baking soda and am hoping for the best. Later today I'll work in the kitchen garden - thin the turnip and radish seedlings, prep a row for the tomato, cabbage, and broccoli seedlings that are going, and start some herb seeds.

wheatfree February 1st, 2009 02:05 PM

I picked lettuce yesterday. I need to pull the outer leaves of the bok choy today, replant a section of the spinach bed, & check on the kohlrabi - some of which are 2" across now. Should probably water the covered beds while I'm out there too.

Then, I go back to impatiently waiting for my seeds to get here.

Nita

Jennifer3141 February 1st, 2009 02:11 PM

I planted my eggplant today. I soaked it for about 16 hours first. I thought there should be trumpets or something with the first seeds going in. :D

whodat February 2nd, 2009 04:13 PM

I had some tomato seeds planted in cups, in a bin, and placed on top of the freezer in the utility room. I have been glancing at them from time to time but hadn't realized that they had sprouted. Man, those things are leggy! I pulled them down, took the lid off of the bin and set in front of the living room window for more sunlight, since it's overcast and drizzly today. I am wondering if they will be worth messing with or not at this point. I don't know how they got so lanky before I even realized that they had sprouted!

Locavore February 2nd, 2009 04:17 PM

Planted potatos in plastic bins over the weekend. The tomatoes I started last week are up in the greenhouse. Put in a 4th round of garlic. Wandering the garden dreaming....:)

julianna February 3rd, 2009 03:51 AM

Today I started some alpine strawberry seeds (late! I know! I didn't realize I should have done that in december), some artichokes, chives, and tokyo white bunching onions. I have high hopes for my babies. 13 more days and I'll start some more things.

MattMatts-Momma February 3rd, 2009 07:02 AM

I have got mine all cleared of the weeds. I planted some carrots and beets last week, we'll see how that goes! I also have some potatoes I am sprouting. I am going to try and plant those this weekend.

My day was made yesterday when I received some seeds from wintersown. I got several tomato varieties, parsley, cucumber and lots of flower seeds.

PCKGRat February 5th, 2009 05:35 AM

Today I set the seedlings out in the sun. My roommate put up one of my tomato fences. I added some more coffee grounds and organic dregs (carrots etc from juice place) into the compost pile. I looked at everything and congratulated the sprouts for sprouting.

jbest123 February 5th, 2009 05:57 AM

Come on you guys. Its 6 deg outside now.:( Have a heart.

John

HBKitmitto February 5th, 2009 10:32 AM

I actually planted a few of my tomato plants yesterday. I'ma little more than a week early but the weather has been awesome all week and I felt like taking a risk. If I lose them, no biggie, I have PLENTY more ready to go.

Oh yeah, I noticed a few strawberry blossoms on my plants this morning!!:D

PCKGRat February 5th, 2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbest123 (Post 215595)
Come on you guys. Its 6 deg outside now.:( Have a heart.

John

We can send you some green leaves John.

Don't worry we will get hit by the hot summer sun and have to figure out ways to keep our plants cool and watered while you guys enjoy plenty of rain. California is also notorious for powdery mildew and I already had my first dose of that and of aphids.

Of course, I just harvested some purple cauliflower and a head of brocolli today along with some remaining serrano peppers, snow peas and sugar anns (there were dry pods to which I have harvested for seed).

And, I set the seedlings outside again, though it will rain and they will need to come in. And, I was digging in the dirt...

But still, when we are whining about the heat and drought, you all will be sharing the beauty of rain.

Lemon Water February 5th, 2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whodat (Post 213830)
I had some tomato seeds planted in cups, in a bin, and placed on top of the freezer in the utility room. I have been glancing at them from time to time but hadn't realized that they had sprouted. Man, those things are leggy! I pulled them down, took the lid off of the bin and set in front of the living room window for more sunlight, since it's overcast and drizzly today. I am wondering if they will be worth messing with or not at this point. I don't know how they got so lanky before I even realized that they had sprouted!

I had some leggy tomatoes last year (first year trying to really start everything form seed). The great thing about tomatoes, is if you plant them deep, they'll grow roots along their stem. So in the end, I found the legginess from when they first sprouted didn't seem to hurt. I still got healthy, vigorous plants. Just be sure they get enough sunlight later :D

As for me, I started the peppers and tomatoes about 3 weeks ago? Just started some eggplants, herbs, more tomatoes and peppers, and some flowers a few days ago. Also planted some miracle fruit seeds, so we'll see how those do.

I've been digging in more compost still, and we just started to do a little bit of landscaping by removing some ugly plants. So now I'm preparing those areas, and planning on what to put there. My mom wants flowers since it's out front, and we do need some colour! But I'll be sneaking in some edibles too!

Everything is growing and waiting to be eaten. Between school, seed starting, and trying to landscape I'm pretty busy! I'm betting everything won't work out all picture perfect, but it's hard to do when you're only one person! :o

redneckplanter February 5th, 2009 06:47 PM

been traying toms like crazy...
eggplant and peppers too.....

GardenChic February 5th, 2009 10:00 PM

Apologizing to it for all of this unbecoming Florida cold weather. :eek:

whodat February 5th, 2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenChic (Post 216068)
Apologizing to it for all of this unbecoming Florida cold weather. :eek:

Yeah! Right?
My poor onions are taking a beating, but they're hangin' in there. I think the mustard will be done for pretty soon.

Imp February 5th, 2009 11:06 PM

I'm planning on getting some more manure from a friend's place and digging up some more rough beds to get more greens going in them. Going to call and see if I can get out to the county dump and get some more compost if iI shovel it.

That will be mixed in as well.

hikingonthru February 6th, 2009 08:18 AM

Waiting for the bermudagrass to die!

GardenChic February 6th, 2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whodat (Post 216096)
Yeah! Right?
My poor onions are taking a beating, but they're hangin' in there. I think the mustard will be done for pretty soon.

May the force of the onions and mustard be with you! :D

Good luck!

spud February 9th, 2009 01:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not a very good pic of mache, it overwintered in a hoop house and no other covering. It suprisingly didn't even get mushy or soft. Carrots were left in the ground and covered with dry leaves and plastic. They suprisingly didn't freeze and carrots are just as crunchy as they were in the fall.

DebbieG February 9th, 2009 01:27 PM

Well, the snow has melted off, but it is still way to muddy to do anything. The weather has gone from artic to nice, and it's supposed to be warm(er) for the rest of the week. It's still way to early to plant, but I can contimue to dream, and days like this drive me nuts. I want to plant but...... Oh well, at least I can enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

I do have seedlings started in the house and will get another set going sometime this week, I think?

DebbieG

cyra February 9th, 2009 03:01 PM

Picking lemons, but I'm cheating here. It's not technically part of my so-called "garden" (3 flower beds), it's my neighbor's, but if I water it, I get to pick it....and it needs picking, my neighbor didn't know you have to thin lemons this large or their weight will break the tree's branches. Guess I'll be juicing & freezing lemonade here, shortly.
I haven't really done anything for my garden but clean up debris, and plant a lot of seeds in between the blessed rain. Didn't truly appreciate how precious it was, until this year...

RozieDozie February 9th, 2009 03:11 PM

I'm still working on my backyard lasagna bed. Got all of the cardboard down, have that covered with the first layer of mulch and bought cement blocks to border it. Hauled all those blocks out of the truck and rolled them into the backyard with the wheel barrow now I'm kinda' stowed up. :)

We finally had a little rain today; still in a big drought, though.

steady February 9th, 2009 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
im fixen to go on a planting binge... yep i got my order from baker creek today and im stoked, however the plastic for my second hoop house is no good so i gots to go get some of that stuff

but im ready i got my bigt bag of potting soil type of stuff that im mixing with garden soil, my containers are ready and im bout ready to go sow some carrots , beets spinach ,

im hoping to plant 1 seed of each variety of melons ive currently got ... 1`4 total this should be interesting as i taint going to worried bout cross breeding(polination) cause them melon plants are going to be close to each other im going to be using containers ive got 9 and need to secure 5 more.

a neighbor is in the landscaping business and i asked him to bring me a samople of the soil he sells as i may buy 2 or 3 yard of soil to improve the area tha tneeds improvinmg( opps i was trying to attach a picture but obviloulsy thats teh wrong one and i previed tehis post but how to remove that hmm oh well
thats what im doing i even planted some flower seeds today and weeded some. i had fun weeding while the rain was falling been so long sine we had a nice rain that there was no need to stay inside just put the rain coat on and get to work. lots to be done
if ya cant tell im happy to have my seeds and am ready to geta planting:)

Groundblade48 February 9th, 2009 05:02 PM

right now nothing. It's still a quagmire and I'll just have to wait for it to dry or I'll end up with a brick slab..LOL.

PCKGRat February 10th, 2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camochef (Post 204360)
I'm looking out the window at the snow that's covering it wondering... when will it go above freezing so it will begin to melt? and... when will this stop, it's driving me crazy???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q4cb...eature=related

I just wanted to make you feel better.

You remember all that sun and growing plants that I mentioned... Well, I told you that we would get a rut too.

It rained for many days. My garden is flooded and it frosted this morning. The olive, lemon and orange tree are inside. This is good.

All the seedling are in as well.

I have determined that I will start planting by the Rat Moon chart (i.e., whenever I have the time with no regard to the actual moon). Had I planted outside already, all the babies would be dead.

I don't know if my lettuce will rebound.

So you should be comforted in knowing that the spring will soon come.

steady February 10th, 2009 06:56 PM

whew what a day,
i got my 2nd hoop hut constructed yipeee
was abel to plant the following seeds today
white currant tomato
thia yellow egg eggplant
minesota midget melon
blacktail mountain water melon
healys pride melon
the litchi tomatoe that is new to baker creek
tennessee sweet potatoe
lebanese white bush marrow sqush
upper ground sweet potato
costata romanesco squash
crook neck early golden squash

most were 2 or 3 seeds except the white currant cherry tomato which 6 where planted

now hopefully the will grow
i also planted tulips
and another ten strawberry plants

I_Luv_2Make_Salsa February 12th, 2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steady (Post 219300)
whew what a day,
i got my 2nd hoop hut constructed yipeee
was abel to plant the following seeds today
white currant tomato
thia yellow egg eggplant
minesota midget melon
blacktail mountain water melon
healys pride melon
the litchi tomatoe that is new to baker creek
tennessee sweet potatoe
lebanese white bush marrow sqush
upper ground sweet potato
costata romanesco squash
crook neck early golden squash

most were 2 or 3 seeds except the white currant cherry tomato which 6 where planted

now hopefully the will grow
i also planted tulips
and another ten strawberry plants

Hi Ed!
Sounds wonderful!:rolleyes:

hikingonthru February 12th, 2009 10:41 PM

Today, my sone (3 years old) helped me to fashion a raised bed out of old 2x6 decking wood we recycled when a friend tore off a deck from his house. It was a little wider and a little shorter than what I wanted but, hey...free wood! I bought him his first official garden trowel that is his very own.
He helped move dirt when I was nailing the boards down. We got about 1/5 inches of rain in an hour last night so this wet clay was up his alley! Gonna lay some weedcloth down the sides and make an apron but for the most part, it is done. Just got to mix in leaves with the dirt I have there.
I think it ended up being a foot high on the top end and about 1.5 foot on the downhill end (see why I need raised beds???) - 73 inches wide and 84 inches long. I think I will make it my herb garden.

hikingonthru February 12th, 2009 10:44 PM

Oh yeah, and bought one of those Jiffy trays with 72 of those little starter pellets cuz I wanted to start seed and my wife would kill me if I drug "all that dirty stuff into my house right before Valentine's).

The boys sandbox did catch GALLONS of rainwater. Gonna strain it and boil it and use it on my seeds. See if it makes any difference in germination over tap (chlorinated) water.

TastyofHasty February 13th, 2009 10:14 AM

I spent a little while out in my main garden area, chopping out bermuda grass while it's still weak and dead-looking and not all green and crawling and sending out roots yet.

Desert Rat February 13th, 2009 11:10 AM

Storm blew through here a few days ago so it is still too muddy to plant the new bed I was working on. My compost isn't cooking good right now so bought some from a compost farm and plan on digging that in as soon as it can be worked. Have coming up right now 2 kinds of carrots, 2 kinds of beets, more turnips, onions and radishes and sugar snaps. Have tomatoes and bell peppers that should be ready to plant in a couple of weeks, and waiting on my order from BC so I can get melons in the ground and Red Noodle beans. Mesclun mix has been going great guns for months. Fun, isn't it?

hikingonthru February 13th, 2009 11:11 AM

Bermuda grass...the grass you would see in Satan's lawn.

HBKitmitto February 13th, 2009 11:22 AM

Got my tomato plants planted into the garden. I'm thinking my husband needs to build another bed since I'm quickly running out of space and still have lots of things I want to grow.

melodyelf February 13th, 2009 01:21 PM

my lettuce seeds sprouted! yay! :) first thing to sprout so far.

and today I went out in the yard and raked up a bunch of dead leaves that were covered with snow all winter and put them in the compost bin, along with some water. I'd thought the snow would have provided enough water but it looked pretty dry in there.

Patio Princess February 13th, 2009 09:48 PM

Nothing outside yet, apart from clean-up.

I plan to start seeds indoors this week.

I just remembered: my best friend may be getting married later this year (they have an informal engagement; he's trying to find another job, after being laid-off for months). As her gift, I offered to cater her reception, to be held in my house (it's her 2nd marriage, and will be a very small affair). I just remebered that I need to add many more flowers to my yard, and I plan to grow the veggies and fruit for the food (how cool is that for your wedding food? Organic, home-grown provender!). I'd better factor in more stuff! (If it's not needed, I'll just preserve what I can. She is not allowed to get married after the first frost date! :D)

Stumpy February 13th, 2009 10:01 PM

Today we tilled the area where I will plant Yukon Gold potatoes. We also cut back a decades-neglected, but thriving, roughly 60-foot long muscadine vine and draped it across our not-quite-finished trellis. I transferred some leek seedlings to larger pots.

ovenbird February 15th, 2009 04:33 PM

Actually hauled compost out to the heap this week. Then it snowed again. But, spring must be on the way. We have a tree pollen alert sent out by the weather channel for our area.

jbest123 February 15th, 2009 04:50 PM

I just dumped wood ashes on the future asparagus bed and garden sulphur on the potato patch. that is one of the things that I love about RB/SFG, you can amend the soil as to what is to be grown there.

John

tashak February 15th, 2009 05:11 PM

Still digging up rocks in the newly expanded hard times garden strip. I think I will have to give up the idea of doubledigging it, at least this year.

lalbers February 15th, 2009 05:30 PM

Like some of you, I'm just looking at the snow, can't do anything now except look at seeda catalogs, and think about planting. I also need to find another source of manure this year, so I can expand my garden, getting into heirlooms now, never knew how many there are out there! It's fun to trade seeds. We have our last frost in june, first in october, so we have a short growing season, but I love gardening. It's my sanity