IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

w8in4dave August 12th, 2009 07:51 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Garden?? huh?? Is there a garden out there??... Oh yea thats the stuff in all them weeds ... Well then.. Can you say what are we all not doing in our gardens right now????

hikingonthru August 12th, 2009 04:54 PM

Watching how much better my plants respond to real honest God-given rain than to hosepipe water from the municipal supply.

Ichiban eggs are going like gangbusters. The angled loufas are climbing the power pole...yikes!
Bells should do OK with this soaking. Hoping this all-day soaking shower will be what puts the purple=hull pinkeye plot on the farm over the top for production...the late okra too.

Watching some mysterious bean vine that has come up amidst one of my mater beds. It has blooms galore but has yet to set the first bean...taking so long has to be an heirloom. Guess we will wait and see.

Oh yeah, I finally got some butternut squash to grow! Never had much luck with them before.

SherylGallant August 12th, 2009 06:44 PM

lol! W8in4dave, I feel the same way. The grass and weeds have taken over!
I am hand pollinating the squash. It's fun and rewarding! I didn't get a lot of squash from all those flowers last year so I am doing it myself this year. Lots of small squash growing out there now - I hand pollinated last week too.

Oh, and I'm picking my first ground cherries!!

garden_vato August 12th, 2009 08:03 PM

well i went to my sisters house and pulled a cocozelle and the first of the small billiard ball sized zuchinnis that my brother got seeds for in mexico. i gave them to him so he can tell me how they taste, and then ill take the second one thats growing right now. they are about the same size as the 8 ball variety that a few seed suppliers have been selling, but they are not the same at all. very different colors. also just got my garlic from wegrowgarlic.com. gotta look for a place to plant it.

w8in4dave August 12th, 2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherylGallant (Post 334216)
lol! W8in4dave, I feel the same way. The grass and weeds have taken over!
I am hand pollinating the squash. It's fun and rewarding! I didn't get a lot of squash from all those flowers last year so I am doing it myself this year. Lots of small squash growing out there now - I hand pollinated last week too.

Oh, and I'm picking my first ground cherries!!

I have never hand pollinated .. Good luck :)

lumina August 13th, 2009 09:55 AM

Spraying "liquid fence" hoping to keep the deer away from the okra, peppers & tomatoes. One doe has devastated what the ground squirrels hadn't. *sigh*

At least the chickens have started laying (and quit eating their eggs), and I have a couple roos who are acting like they need to go into the freezer. :rolleyes: Something is paying off..... :)

Trisha August 13th, 2009 04:36 PM

Gardening on the prairie is a mystery. First, something furry is stealing my fruit, including tomatoes. Some orange tomato that I didn't mean to plant got eaten before I could taste it and the peaches are gone before they ripened. Next year it's nets. Next, in my three sisters patch I let the beans go after they finished beaning and they made a jungle over the dead corn stalks. They are now putting out a second crop of beans but no squash have formed yet. It's a jungle out there! Roselle hibiscus is still growing though it got a late start and I might have to protect it in the fall when cold sets in to maybe get some calyx for tea. It has been so dry that I even have to water my herbs. Nettle has invaded all of my gardens.

SherylGallant August 13th, 2009 08:37 PM

We have a resident ground hog couple that live under the garage so I have a fence around the garden now. They don't bother the corn or tomatoes. but ate all the first leaves off the squash.

We have a couple of wild apple trees from which I was planning on saving apples for winter treats for the chickens. I have never been able to get one apple from those trees. Something, I think racoons, takes every single one of them, ever year, before I can get to them! Frustrating!

Roserock August 13th, 2009 08:53 PM

I noticed some of the bean plants were looking a little beat up and found one of the cats sitting in/on/under them. I guess that's a good way to keep cool, lol.

Michelle8 August 13th, 2009 08:53 PM

I finally decided on a bug spray that I could live!! The bugs were chasing me out of my own garden:eek:...I was spending more time squishing bugs than picking beans or maters. And I really want pumpkins this year. I have several on the vine and don't want any bugs killing my vines.

My honeydew vines are dying for some reason. I have 5 or 6 melons on the vine, but I doubt they'll ripen.

I picked another 1/2 bushel of beans tonight. A total of 1 bushel this week, yea!

While picking the beans, I could hear the local high school band practicising.
Michelle