IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Locavore June 25th, 2009 07:20 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 299962)
why a greenhouse in your zone now?

Quote:

And another question, isn't it too hot for you to plant lettuce now?
Excellent questions, w8 & Kelly. The greenhouse was a consession to my gardening partner at Mills. She coordinates the community and botanic gardens here at Mills and the plantings we did were for the community garden. Basically, it came down to her desire to make use of the infrastructure we have. She's worked hard--both physically and in terms of fund-raising--to build the greenhouse to it's current fully-functional state, and as it's been pretty empty of late, she really wanted to use it.

Our compromise is that we're germinating on the heating pads in the greenhouse, than making a quick hardening off transition to the lathe house to grow out the seedlings. Not ideal, IMO, but I respect her perspective and need to demonstrate use of the facilities.

In terms of lettuce, it's an interesting question. While we're in California, the specific microclimate we're in is known as the Bay Area Fog Belt, and is characterized by cool foggy summers--bad for peppers, good for lettuce. We have a garden book that is specific to our exact area and the various micro-climates of our Bay Area. It claims that lettuce can be planted in succession throughout the year, with the possible exception of Sept/October, when we get our real heat.

Also, we've located them in a spot that's almost always shaded by a tree, so we're hoping for the best.:D

sharon1957 June 25th, 2009 07:23 PM

Watering and resting. It's been over 100 degrees all week and projected a few days more. Plants (mine and the weeds) where I water are VERY happy. Tomatoes, beans, peas, fake kuckleberries, zukes, cukes, melons, and especially winter squash UGSP all growing wildly and widely. Husband thinks I need to pull about half the blossoms but I'm shy of future trouble pulling the other half.
I am contenting myself with watering every second or third day, and pulling a few weeds while I check what is ready to harvest every evening right before dark.
Okra that I planted -- four varieties of red -- supposed to be 3' dwarf to 7' giant, but all about the same size: under 1 1/2'. Don't know what's wrong but they are producing so not too upset about it... just confused.
And taking pictures with my new camera phone. Just figured out how to get them off the phone and onto the PC; next is how to get them in here.

jeffinsgf June 25th, 2009 07:29 PM

Locavore,

I take it you're where Mark Twain spent his famous "worst winter".

ratdog June 25th, 2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokiaj (Post 299096)
Fabulous Garden!!! Do you keep hay in between all your beds? Does this help?

Almost all,good mulch,helps keep the weeds down.

ratdog June 25th, 2009 08:34 PM

SoCalAddicted-wonderful garden!! Nice pics.

w8in4dave June 25th, 2009 09:05 PM

I planted my inky binky tiny tiny tomato I had goin.. Im going out of town.. I wonder if it will still be alive when I get back?? I also planted my chocolate mint , my basil and my lemon basil :)

Gardenizit June 25th, 2009 11:43 PM

Place a minimum 32 oz. container on the high-side of the plant, with a 7/64th hole drilled in the bottom of it, with the top screwed on tightly, and you should be OK. Leave one inch air space at the top of the container.

w8in4dave June 26th, 2009 07:10 AM

Ohhhhh I see hmmmm thats a great idea .... Gots to find me one...Thanks gardenizit.. I was thinking a 5 gal bucket with just a lil tiny hole at the bottom

Gardenizit June 26th, 2009 10:05 AM

It depends on how long you will be gone.

Two days, and I would use a minimum 64 oz. container.

Three days and I would use a gal. milk jug, minimum.

A 5 gal. bucket would work, but the problem is that you likely cannot seal it at the top and your water will flow quickly with the open air vacuum.

You want to release slowly, but enough to sustain the plant. I am still refining the process for my own garden because I have no other choice in being away in the future.

That seal (I prefer the screw-on's) should be very tight at the top of any container.

TastyofHasty June 26th, 2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Place a minimum 32 oz. container on the high-side of the plant, with a 7/64th hole drilled in the bottom of it, with the top screwed on tightly, and you should be OK. Leave one inch air space at the top of the container.
Gardenizit, sounds like you've refined it pretty much already!