IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

jadek May 4th, 2009 06:03 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

I'm celebrating! Yay! The lilies-of-the-valley that I transplanted from my mom's garden before she moved, which originally came from my great-grandmother's garden, are sprouting! They only had two leaves last year, and I didn't know if they would come back this year. Woohoo!

Marty in Springfield May 4th, 2009 08:57 AM

Since it has been raining for a week here in southern Missouri I am trying to figure out how to mount a set of pontoons on my tiller so I can float it across the garden, or maybe I better just hope for a few days of sun and dry conditions.

fhalloran May 4th, 2009 09:22 AM

Marty, we're building an ark over here in KY. Want to join us?

Soilchica May 4th, 2009 10:16 AM

Hubs and I staked tomatoes yesterday, and as of 7 pm 5/3, we had 17 cherry tomatoes, 5 Romas, and ~10 Cherokee Purples set. I'm so excited! Sadly, though, the lettuce has all through and through bolted, so it's all getting pulled this weekend.

jemarmy May 4th, 2009 10:26 AM

Yesterday I dug a 30 foot trench and planted potatoes, transplanted the two pea plants that came up from our early planting experiment and tilled a section that I'll try to get raked out today. I also had some onions in my pantry that grew stems, so I stuck those in the ground to see what they'd do. I tossed a slew of seeds in pots and such to get started on some herbs, onions and leeks, a few more tomatoes and such.
I've got that nice ache in my shoulders that reminds me what this body was made for. ;)

lunkergill May 4th, 2009 11:21 AM

Scattering lime and building fence the deer are hard to fight around here anyone else having deer problems

mmmtomatoes May 4th, 2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhalloran (Post 272132)
Marty, we're building an ark over here in KY. Want to join us?

Thats funny I just offered Klorentz to borrow mine on another thread. I already used it. I'll loan it out for seeds. Klorentz never said if he wanted to use it or not!

Must pick up. No deliveries! Must bring people to pick it up!

hikingonthru May 4th, 2009 11:37 AM

Not much getting done b/c of rain...ground gets dry enough to till and we are wetted again...and I am thankful for every little drop we get! Our reservoir was 28 feet below pond last year around October. You could see old bridges from the days before the impoundment! Now we are only 4-5 feet below pond and that is dangerous. The ground has dried out so very quickly between rains.
Now it is a nice, soft steady soaking rain. Not too bad. (Got caught in a thunderstorm on the Harley Saturday. 30 miles of rain that felt like bullets hitting you!)

I noted that my mater sets have just really grown a lot in the past week. The reseeds I did for what did not make it from early seeding are just catching right on up. When it does dry out we can just stick it all right in the ground! Something is eating my pepper plant leaves. Shooting them full of holes! DE to the rescue! All my different basils are sprouting good!

Also, I noted that in my newest bed, which is mostly ground up leaves mixed with clay earth...the arugula and lettuces have pretty much bolted. But in the beds filled with Fafard dirt, they are still microgreen size. Hmmmm..... Any thoughts????

The artichoke is growing slowly but surely. No chokes this year I bet, but it will look pretty neat at any rate!

Wheat stand has headed really good! Couple more months till harvest!

fhalloran May 4th, 2009 08:50 PM

mmmtomatoes, I can't pick people up. Too much rain. You swim on over here, though, and we'll make room.

karlkatzke May 4th, 2009 09:07 PM

hikingonthru -- If you tasted the microgreens, chances are that they're bitter as all get-out. I had that same issue with my greens that got "under-fed"...