IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

ipaintedmyhousewhite May 1st, 2009 02:10 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Hoping I can re-pot my tomatoes before I kill them.

Locavore May 1st, 2009 06:10 PM

Right now I'm appreciating these May Day rains--unseasonal but greatly welcomed nonetheless! Our Sierra snow pack, which provides the majority of California's summer water, is only at 2/3 of normal right now :eek:

karlkatzke May 1st, 2009 06:54 PM

Trying to figure out pest control... !@#$ my desire to stay organic...

fhalloran May 1st, 2009 08:21 PM

Ok, I made it to Lowe's and as a result I:

Planted two large pots (glazed stoneware) with basil as the centerpiece and petunias and something I've never seen before all around. Can't remember the name of the other flower and it's outside in the dark so...

I also transplanted the chard into the raised bed, where hopefully it will be happier. I transplanted my lupin seedlings, and got a nice look at why you aren't supposed to grow them inside. I'll know better next time. I made another big container of amended soil to use in pots, and I moved my lime tree so it won't get whacked every time I use the hose.

Tomorrow I'll plant one more planter (or maybe two), re-pot the little fern I bought for my desk, and pull some more weeds.

FarmerCathy May 1st, 2009 11:58 PM

Planted 48 tomato plants and some more lettuce.:D

kingsgarden May 2nd, 2009 06:28 AM

I finally get to reply to this thread. We are planting and sowing today. Planting broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, onions sets and sowing peas, spinach, carrots, kale and a variety of lettuces. YEAH!!!

karlkatzke May 2nd, 2009 11:17 AM

Put poles in for the pole beans, caged the tomatoes (need two more cages) And need to get some cages or frames for the bush eggplant.

sharon1957 May 2nd, 2009 08:16 PM

Since I last wrote not much has gotten done because of the ongoing rain. DH and I need to build the trellis so we can get the tomatoes, tomatillos, and other seedlings into the ground around it, and the peppers into the ground between the trellis parts (harvested crape myrtles) and where the trellis goes. I think that makes sense. Can't afford to stomp them so wait till their soon-to-be-home is not a construction zone.
Pulled weeds in the yard so that DH doesn't need to mow as often. Weeded the okra again. Put down straw in the part of the path/moat around the first (and biggest) raised bed. Need to dig out more on the west end but may move on this year and even things out in the slack season (whenever that turns out to be).
Got out the graph paper and plotted everything done so far, and another plot of everything planned for eventually. (This year's bed layout is not permanent, but it is necessary until we get that last damaged tree down.)

bellzeybubba May 2nd, 2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramaqueen (Post 270833)
I have planted a new high bed for my shade garden alongside a partially shade to full shade bed. It looks really nice, now is the waiting for the plants to fill out and fill up the space.

What did you plant in your shade garden? Always looking for new ideas for my extensive shade...

Today my husband laid drip irrigation for me in the veggie garden, hooray! Also I transplanted to permanent & pretty pots a orange tree, a lemon tree, and a kaffir lime, planted loquat seeds, planted a bunch more annuals and a few perennials in the new ornamental bed, fed everything everywhere, transplanted my tomatoes still under the grow lights (for later in the season), did some pruning, tried to tame the honeysuckle and jasmine in my daughter's garden that was getting out of control with some new trellises, and spent far too much time at the local nursery contemplating pineapple guavas. :)

mmmtomatoes May 2nd, 2009 09:06 PM

I had to replace my simple garden fence that was about 3" tall because my dog decided she was going to jump it. Luckily we found A LOT of picket fence in the trash. So to make a long story short. My garden area has a picket fence now. I plan on taking pictures soon.

It wasn't the best looking fence in the world but I think I might pain it tonight.