IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

fhalloran April 30th, 2009 02:40 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Kellygirrl, I'm using a variety this time to see what works. I've got violets, jju's, pansies, anything of that variety. If they do well, noted. If not, not much lost.

We have a very moist yard (hence my veggies are in a raised bed), so I think the soil retains enough water to handle the water needs of these little buggers. And we tend to have wet autumns and wet springs. But we'll see.

My gardening philosophy basically boils down to, "Oh well!" If it works, great. If not, not much lost.

jadek May 1st, 2009 06:57 AM

Fhalloran - I hope you like violets! Our neighbors planted them on their side of the fence and those things spread like crazy, ruined our backyard, spread into the front lawn and flowerbed, and have taken us the better part of three years to pull out. They would be a decent groundcover if contained, except they aren't so pretty into summer and fall as they are in springtime. The ironic part? They didn't survive in the neighbor's yard.

bellzeybubba May 1st, 2009 09:25 AM

FINALLY I had a chance to get out there again and do more than water! Today I harvested the last of my onions and took down the rest of the dill forest, leaving one lone stalk for cooking. Planted sugar baby watermelon, sleeping beauty melon, table queen winter squash, black beauty summer squash, lemon cucumber, Mexican sour gherkin, and lemon balm. Hope it's not too late for them all! Later today I intend to move the garlic chives out of the fenced garden, they take up too much space considering we use so little of them, and plant some okra.

catkittycat May 1st, 2009 10:47 AM

okra was planted last night in the front yard. also transplated another tomato, one of the back ups, Sun Gold, in the flower garden. it rained like crazy last night here so shouldn't have to water for a week. the newly planted melon, squash, bean and cucumber seeds should be pretty soaked. I am ready to eat something out of the garden. i think the first will be lettuce, bronze leaf. corn going in the ground this weekend. then i think everything will have been planted that is edible.

kellygirrl May 1st, 2009 11:05 AM

Speaking of sugar baby watermelon (bellzeybubba), I had a packet dated 2001, so I put them b/n wet paper towels and it looks like their all sprouting! I didn't expect any! Now I gotta get dig a huge bed on my gardening partner's acre.:eek::D

bellzeybubba May 1st, 2009 01:08 PM

Sweet kellygirrl! Figuratively and literally! :D

I had to take a break and run an errand so while I was out I swung by my local organic nursery, and they had... (drum roll please)... potted Hoja Santa! Root beer plant!!! I've been wanting one of these, I have just the place for it :D. Got that in, got the garlic chives moved, managed to prune back the roses and the verbena that had grown out of control. Course I just had to pick up some more annuals while I was at the nursery, so it looks like they'll be going in this afternoon. Hooray for a gardening day!

TastyofHasty May 1st, 2009 01:23 PM

Corn went in today, in a new bed from which I pulled up a blue tarp. Want to try some three-sisters with it, so planted the corn fairly far apart.

Okra goes in today. Will probably plant soybeans under it again like the past couple years. But NOT NOW!:eek:

Some of the beans go in today (not the ones for "three sisters.") I'm going to try "Potato Beans" from BC, something called "Pole Beans Stortino di Trento" from Gourmet Seed International, ... there are SO many great beans ... I have a kind of "pole bean Adzuki" (at least that's what the package says!) ... Marengo Romano ... just a whole lot of GREAT beans ... whew!

A bunch of stuff from seeds went into pots yesterday. One I'm glad I managed was "Purple Tomatillos" from BC a coupla years ago. I LOVE those things ... they weren't purple, or very big, but delicious, VERY!

Dramaqueen May 1st, 2009 01:36 PM

I am totally exhausted, I spent 7 hours in the garden with nothing but water and an apple. i couldnt stop to eat as I was really into what I was doing. I have planted a new high bed for my shade garden alongside a partially shade to full shade bed. It looks really nice, now is the waiting for the plants to fill out and fill up the space. I hauled by hand NO WHEEL BARROW, 12 packs of soil each 40 kilos each, I got my days workout for my arms and belly heehee. I planted a mint garden under the walnut tree that gets some sunshine but is prone to a monster of weeds. Hopefully the mints will take over and the weeds will be less and less. I just love mints and cant have enough. where I plant them i want them to spread as it is in no reach of anything protected. I mulched som beds and dug for hours some dang Plantains out of the ground. I transplanted a few plants and moved and replanted my ferns in their new shaded high bed under a tree where I spend a lot of time in the summer. Tomorrow I am back at the salt mill again.

fhalloran May 1st, 2009 01:50 PM

Jadek, I *do* love violets, but will keep your warning in mind. I doubt my neighbors would appreciate it if I filled their yards with violets.

Today I pulled about a bucket-ful of weeds, which I hope to do every day this month. I pulled some big pots up on the deck, where I am planning to fill them with basil Genovese and maybe a couple of pepper plants. I cut some lettuce for my lunch (does that count as gardening?) and gave the chard a stern talking-to about being all floppy. I checked my rain barrel and confirmed a lot of lovely rain water harvested off the roof last night.

Later I think I'll take my son to the library for more books and to Lowe's for more potting soil so I can get those containers started.

klorentz May 1st, 2009 02:09 PM

Been potting up tomatoes and peppers like crazy. Got eggplant sprouting up. Put some pansy seeds in a planter with some self seeded orange boy marigolds.Have dug up some more of the garden too.Gotta get moving on that too cuz I have some tomato plants that should be ready to go out in about a week or so. Gonna have lots of goodies planted by the end of the month.

Kevin