IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

kellygirrl April 29th, 2009 12:45 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhalloran (Post 269383)
...Then, I'll start some violas, johnny jump-ups, and pansies for fall planting. ...

Does it take them all summer to get good sized? Do they winter over or reseed for you? Thanks!

hikingonthru April 29th, 2009 12:52 PM

I found a bucket of cured garlic in my shed I forgot about! All nice and dry and ready for use! Now I do not have to yield to store bought garlic! Can plant in fall and not miss a lick!

ovenbird April 29th, 2009 01:01 PM

I am weeding and fighting the battle against garlic mustard. I love the smell of garlic. Wedding really makes me hungry these days!

I am weeding out grasses and velvetleaf only right now as the lambs quarters will be very tasty in a few weeks!

TastyofHasty April 29th, 2009 07:43 PM

Ovenbird, I thought about that ... AFTER I had weeded out some lambsquarters. :o

kellygirrl April 29th, 2009 09:15 PM

I've been eating my magenta variegated lambsquarters for weeks in my hoophouse. Delicious tender babies:) and a sea of them sprouting in the yard:eek:.

springfever April 29th, 2009 11:55 PM

Just looking at the muddy mess that hasn't even been tilled yet and watching it rain...again.

fhalloran April 30th, 2009 07:01 AM

Kellygirl, I'm not going to start them for a while, just wanted to get the seeds because the seed variety right now is much better than it will be in three months. I thought about ordering seeds, and will probably do so for next year (can't have too many violets, IMO), but I grit my teeth at paying $5 for shipping on $6 worth of seed packets.

Anyway, they will probably overwinter (assuming we don't have another ice storm), but if not they'll certainly re-seed. Either way, I want violets in the fall and violets in spring, so I'm going to prep them in late summer.

kellygirrl April 30th, 2009 10:41 AM

Fhaloran, do you recommend a long blooming reseeding viola/johnny jump up? Pansies, I quit unless they're somewhere I plan on watering obsessively, and they never reseed for me, but I would think I could get a good violet going.

kellygirrl April 30th, 2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfever (Post 269811)
Just looking at the muddy mess that hasn't even been tilled yet and watching it rain...again.

You should make you a plastic hoophouse or even cold frames.:cool:

hikingonthru April 30th, 2009 03:28 PM

Well, I for the first time tried a mix of early spring greens in one of the beds. Saw some that were like oak leaves and were way ahead of the others...almost like a really dark green arugula. Pinched one off the other day and it had to be some sort of weed! It was very alkaline in its taste. Pulled them all!