IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

fhalloran April 18th, 2009 08:53 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Welllll...today we're going to have a little funeral for the tray of seedlings (Aster and Lupine - yes I know but I was going to transplant them very gently) that I steamed yesterday.

In a fit of jubilation at the 70-degree temps and the shining sun, I took my trays outside. But I put one in the sun and left the lid on. I didn't really think about it as a lovely little magnifier of heat, but when I realized what was happening and grabbed it back, too late. The soil was steaming. Dead little seedlings. Oh, well. Lesson learned.

The other trays are fine. And they're more important to me, being veggies. But still.

ratdog April 18th, 2009 04:27 PM

I planted 15 rows of beets,each row is 4ft long. Also planted 11 rows of red onions and some snow peas. Peace Ken!

reavilh April 18th, 2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratdog (Post 263138)
I planted 15 rows of beets,each row is 4ft long. Also planted 11 rows of red onions and some snow peas. Peace Ken!

When I started reading this I saw the 15 rows and almost spit a mouthful of coffee all over the computer. I thought this guy must really love beets. Then I got to the 4 ft part. I'm used to my rows, and they are 40 ft long.

MichiganderGardener April 18th, 2009 06:23 PM

Took advantage of this beautiful, sunny, 75 degree weather, and planted 4 ,40 foot long rows of yellow and sweet onions. A row of Lincoln Peas, and Swiss Chard. Planted some spinach in containers.

Yesterday planted a hedge of common Lilacs, and some French Lilacs.

ratdog April 19th, 2009 03:06 PM

:
Quote:

Originally Posted by reavilh (Post 263146)
When I started reading this I saw the 15 rows and almost spit a mouthful of coffee all over the computer. I thought this guy must really love beets. Then I got to the 4 ft part. I'm used to my rows, and they are 40 ft long.

:D:D 4 of my beds are 4ft x16ft. We love pickled beets,still eating last years.

pls8xx April 19th, 2009 03:18 PM

I'm getting ready to pick sugar snap peas from the patch I planted back on Feb 18th. Photo from yesterday ...

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a93...ugarsnaps2.jpg

karlkatzke April 19th, 2009 03:51 PM

*sigh* Broccoli bolted to flower. I cut all of it down and tried tasting some of the heads, and they were bitter. Amending the area, now at least I can put in the other plants that have been patiently waiting in containers...

wyldewal April 19th, 2009 07:17 PM

Friday I got a new garden space ready for my little girl to plant sunflowers and pumpkins in.:) Saterday I had a few family things to take care of. Today it's snowing again.:eek:

FarmerCathy April 19th, 2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reavilh (Post 263146)

I know I thought the same thing.

Planted this morning. Straight 8 cucumbers, about a 45' row. Then butternut squash and gourds in a 55' row, lettuce in 45' row, and summer squash in another 40' row. :D

karlkatzke April 19th, 2009 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sick, but I was so frustrated by the broccoli failure (due to my unknowingly planting too late) that I dug up that side of the bed and added manure, peat moss, and some clay from the yard until it was back up to the level of the sidewalk.

Then I planted the 'Quinault' everbearing strawberry in the middle, the Black Krim in one corner, bush Zucchinis in the other corners, and (if it grows) a bush Cuke close to the Zucchini that I'm not sure will make it. There was already a Super Sweet VF100 hybrid in the right hand side, and there's some kohlrabi in the bottom right that I'm curious to see what happens to.

In the upper left, you can see how far below the deck boards things have settled... almost six inches overall and up to 8-10 inches in places.