IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Ajla April 15th, 2009 11:38 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

I've harvested my first asparagus!

ellenr April 15th, 2009 04:51 PM

Kelly girl,
I am a winter sower too. For a few years, but this is my first year sowing vegies. [previously WS'ed annuals] Lettuce, chard, spinach and broccoli came up nicely. I planted some lettuce in a pot in driveway a couple of months ago and it is looking yummy.

I have no garden area where I live, and I garden in a community garden where planting vegies would just be feeding the critters, so I arranged with a friend/neighbor to plant most of my vegie sprouts in his garden. So far no creature attacks. I also put a couple of chard in a pot in my driveway. The pot may be too small, but this is all experimental for me. I just like growing them.

I winter sowed poppies, and they have been planted in the garden for about a month. I have about 20 containers of Salvia outside, but protected. I sowed them too early, so now I have to wrap them at night when the temp dips (like tonite - going down to 38). They germinated about 6 weeks ago (!) so I know they would like to get out of the container, BUT last year I put them in the garden too early and lost them to frost, so this year I am waiting til May 12.

ellen

Locavore April 15th, 2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 261340)
I've harvested my first asparagus!

Whoo hoo! I love asparagus. When we move, I hope to put in a bed......

Locavore April 15th, 2009 05:32 PM

Planted my 5 paprika pepper plants today! Whoo hoo! They've been growing in the green house for a while now, and are over due to get out into the garden, but I was worried about the windy weather we've been getting.

They're tied to stakes, in the hottest part of the garden, so I'm hopeful they'll pull through. I soooooooo want to have home-grown paprika this year!!!

I've still got 4 other kinds to find spots for, but the paprikas were the priorety.

hikingonthru April 16th, 2009 11:45 AM

Lessee....today I cut my yard and those on either side of me for green trimmings to ramp up the compost pile. I went too fast and it looked shaggy so I ended up micromulching it all! Oh well...good on the yards! I dug six 16-24 inch postholes along my chain link fence since the soil here is good and moist WAY down for the fist time in a long time. Gonna use it to trellis something...just not sure what yet. Likely luffas and noodle beans and maybe a mater or cuke. Got me some 2 inch wide goat fencing I found at the farm and turned the compost pile into it rather than the hog wire. Emptied the tumble composter on it between layers to give it some wet/green.

I DID learn something today...if you have a working compost pile in wire and you bust it open to turn it with dogs around, you are in it to the finish! That compost is like cocaine to my dogs! I also learned that while putting the seam of your wire mesh cylinder to the back looks better, it makes it tough to open the cage come turning time. I learned that I was able to get outside one what is likely the MOST BEAUTIFUL SPRING DAY I HAVE EVER SEEN! Thank-you, Jesus!

FarmerCathy April 16th, 2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellenr (Post 261459)
Kelly girl,
I am a winter sower too. For a few years, but this is my first year sowing vegies. [previously WS'ed annuals] Lettuce, chard, spinach and broccoli came up nicely. I planted some lettuce in a pot in driveway a couple of months ago and it is looking yummy.

I winter sowed poppies, and they have been planted in the garden for about a month. I have about 20 containers of Salvia outside, but protected. I sowed them too early, so now I have to wrap them at night when the temp dips (like tonite - going down to 38). They germinated about 6 weeks ago (!) so I know they would like to get out of the container, BUT last year I put them in the garden too early and lost them to frost, so this year I am waiting til May 12.

ellen

I am really loving winter sowing as well. That will be how I plant all my tomato plants next year. They are so much healthier and stronger. Well, except for the sweetie tomatoes those plants are so fragile.

mythkat April 16th, 2009 05:05 PM

Well, I built all the raised beds in the last two weekends. I have four 12" x 16' x 4' beds and two L shaped 20" x 8' x 8 ' beds. The composed top soil (15 cuy) will be delivered tomorrow. I have to finish digging the rocks out of the beds and mixing in the composted chicken bedding and sulfur before I put the top soil in. I have to repot my started seedlings (they'll go in the bed at the end of the month). But before I put the plants in I have to build the rabbit fence. Ahhh, springtime in Nevada. :D

ellenr April 17th, 2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerCathy (Post 262090)
I am really loving winter sowing as well. That will be how I plant all my tomato plants next year. They are so much healthier and stronger. Well, except for the sweetie tomatoes those plants are so fragile.

I have my first tomato sprouts!
I plan to grow one in a 5-gal bucket, and the others I have to find space in someone's back yard.
I'm glad to hear the WS'ed ones are healthier.

kellygirrl April 17th, 2009 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellenr (Post 262499)
I have my first tomato sprouts!
I plan to grow one in a 5-gal bucket, and the others I have to find space in someone's back yard.
I'm glad to hear the WS'ed ones are healthier.

Someone on this forum did an experiment last year, and her winter sowed tomatoes outperformed and resisted disease compared to her indoor sown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellenr (Post 261459)
Kelly girl,
I am a winter sower too... I also put a couple of chard in a pot in my driveway. The pot may be too small, but this is all experimental for me. I just like growing them.

ellen

I love chard, especially Rainbow. I've mixed it in flower beds w/ success.

Were your poppies tiny tiny when you put them out? I haven't put mine out yet.

Interesting about salvia. It will be a learning process, getting the feel of what to put out when.
-------------------------

I am revelling in my magenta variegated lambsquarters. It comes up first in the hoophouse; where I let one go to seed it scattered itself a bit and also sowed itself like a successive-sow patch: I harvest the whole plants at five inches, and the younger ones underneath grow bigger, and I harvest them. I like to chop them and toss them in hot broth or soup when the soup is cooked, so they are tender but still vibrant. Soon my yard will have them all over, and I won't be able to eat them all, but now they are most welcome, some of my first wonderful greens of spring.

karlkatzke April 17th, 2009 11:30 AM

Hey, a Cauliflower headed! It's only about the size of a golfball right now, but I tied the leaves up over it head as the book I read says.