IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Sungold IL July 26th, 2011 08:44 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Right now I'm not doing anything for my garden...but the resident bat is doing his or her nightly rounds. It flies in a circle around my garden and hopefully has a great dinner of insects...

Prairie Princess July 27th, 2011 12:11 AM

I am doing happy dance that after 5 hailstorms and cold, long wet spring that it even survived, let alone, looks as good as it does.

Trisha July 27th, 2011 10:35 AM

:( I have not planted my fall crops, and in fact have to decide which existing plants get "voted off the island." The extreme heat and water restrictions mean that I cannot water everything, so I am watching plants die. Insects are thriving since we have lost most of the lizard population, even keep a tally of bodies we've found. I have decided to focus on my peppers, fruit trees, and valuable landscape plants that will survive in our evolving new climate zone. Everything is mulched, some plants get hand-watered, and the soaker hose is getting a workout. I hope the (required by city code) lawn is truly dead so I can plant one that is more sustainable. I feel guilty about the spark of hope in the developing tropical storm, which is our only hope for rain. I will start plants indoors in hope that the heat breaks by the time they are ready to put in the ground.

bdebonee July 27th, 2011 06:40 PM

Doing a happy dance because my butternuts are finally putting on fruit, although its extremely warm. 98+ every day.

The greek sweet red is a monster of a plant. It decided to grow about 15 ft in EVERY direction. Growing out of the old compost pile, into my neighbors yard (again, already redirected vines), and into our other lot. o_0

Butternut Rogosa Violina's are setting fruit earlier than the greeks.....

motherspider July 28th, 2011 02:57 PM

Watering, weeding, killing grasshoppers. My snake gourd came up finally, only 3 our of 5 made it. Not sure why such a bad ratio on those seeds, they are from local research farm and supposed to be made specially for our environment. Even the okra I got there didn't fair as well. 1 out of 20 didn't make it of the store bought and only got 9 out of 20 from the farm.

ricksroots July 28th, 2011 07:15 PM

I've been harvesting a lot of tomatoes recently - and trimming the plants too. My tomato crops are nearly done. At least the spring plantings. I have a few other plants going that I started from seed back in late May that are just starting to produce.

Sungold IL July 29th, 2011 09:50 AM

Good grief! I just spent what felt like forever dealing with squash bug eggs and nymphs on my "volunteer" squash. It is a haven for these bugs. The plant isn't doing great, so I hacked off a lot of the leaves and killed any bugs and eggs I found. I felt dirty after. Thank goodness for showers...

tsuyako July 29th, 2011 11:06 AM

Evicting slugs....

VA Gardener July 29th, 2011 11:36 AM

Fighting squash bugs and cucumber beetles. It has become a ritual to go to the garden in the morning and in the evening with a cup of soapy water and let the bugs take a swim.

RozieDozie July 29th, 2011 12:11 PM

Fighting fire ants; it's so dry they are eating everything for moisture. They've invaded my corn, my okra blossoms..... Pesty thangs!!!! And there's almost no way to get rid of them; they are everywhere. And they sting like fire! Got covered with bites this morning when I was picking corn. Ouch!!!!! Grrrrrrrr....