IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Gemini Jim April 14th, 2011 08:37 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Transplanted tomatoes from egg cartons to newspaper pots. Mix is 50/50 peat/perlite with some organic fert blend I had sitting around: bone, blood, greensand, and lime. Watering from the fish pond.

Out in the garden, potatoes and peas are up and growing nicely. Garlic is getting tall and salsify has germinated well. I hope to get out there this weekend. Between my schedule and the rain it's been hard to keep up with thinning and weeding out the violets and creeping charlie! I'm afraid I'll be overwhelmed once the nutsedge starts up!

After work I'll be sowing some burr gherkins and mouse melons in egg cartons to plant out in a couple weeks. I'm surprised at how small both types of seeds are, more like sesame seeds than cucurbits!

starsprouts April 14th, 2011 11:55 AM

I got to play with dirt yesterday! Potted up all my new tomato seedlings from their window greenhouse thingies into 3" peat pots and plastic cups. I moved the basil and chive seedlings out, too. Doing that made room for a whole bunch of new pepper seeds in hopes of having a few peppers this summer, since the seeds I planted earlier in the year, in an old set-up I've had, failed dismally. I moved some of the onion seedlings out, too, but I'm not sure where to put them. They seem to need a deeper container than what I have available, so I'm having people save milk jugs for me over the next few days and going to put the onions in those. I also got together with a few other people for a small seed swap. We all walked away happy, so I'll admit that I'm a bit proud of myself for putting it together. Lots of seeds that were going to go to waste now have loving homes, and the ones I got are all OP, so I hope to grow them out and save their plants seeds for next year. I also got a sage plant to replace mine that died out over the summer, but it was in a plastic bag with root sticking out everywhere, so I put it in a pot with some soil late last night.

Today I fertilized all the little babies since I ran out of time yesterday. I put 1 tbsp of Neptune's Harvest Seaweed and Fish in 1 gallon of water. The container had directions for houseplants and outdoor plants, but since these are outdoor plants currently inside...? I figured it was easier to add more later if necessary than to take it away, so I erred on the side of too little.

Today, once I get my less fun chores done around the house: Moving out the rest of the onions and planting all the new stuff I got last night.

Grow, plants, grow!

OneoftheEarls April 14th, 2011 12:10 PM

brought Kubota to the community garden...getting ready either for snow or tilling.

TastyofHasty April 14th, 2011 01:12 PM

Tilled in horse poo. I'm kinda POOPED. Heh.

Texas Kenny April 14th, 2011 09:58 PM

Harvested all the spinach for the market for the last time. Cut broccoli,cauliflower and cabbage, kohlrabi too. Bunched Scallions grown from set onions. Pulled some big spring onions grown from transplants. Tops are beginning to flop over. Walmart sells 3 good size bulbs in a bunch for $1.50. Still got lots of beets, carrots and turnips to bunch to get ready for the first Farmers Market of the season this Saturday. It is almost to hot for cool weather crops.
Strawberries are about to call it quits. Was our first time to grow strawberries and they did real well.
No rain yet so the irrigating is going nonstop. Weeds haven't been a real problem yet because it's so dry.
Aphids were a problem on almost everything with leaves. Once over with pyrethrin fixed that.
Irish Potatos are budding up and ready to bloom. Should be some new potatoes to grub out on in another week or so. I like them with snow peas.

bdebonee April 14th, 2011 10:03 PM

This week so far,

I've planted beans, sowed more lettuce, transplanted a few peppers, and started hardening off
my tomato starts. I wish I hadn't been so careless with my first batches of
maters. They'd be perfect starts to go in the ground. Sowed some summer squash and cucumbers
today. Going to start the melons soon. Weather is warming up nice and steady now.
I want to try the Minnesota Midget Melon. I also have the orangeglo watermelon and banana melon.
Hoping for plenty of melons this year :)

Tilled up some more garden space. Have ALOT more to do. My goal for this year is no less than 50 mater plants, no less than 35 pepper plants (if not more, I LOVE peppers), and no less than 35 bean plants.

I sowed some marigolds and a hummingbird/butterfly flower mixture. (I know its late, but hey, it can't hurt)

Watered the peas, spinach, radishes, echinacea, and the other row of lettuce.

I've been busy busy busy! Spring time is officially here and its wonderful weather. Mid 70s in the day and about 48-50 degrees at night. Also planted some potatoes.

Want to start my wax beans already. Need more garden space! My gpa jokes around that I should
have just gotten a tractor and tilled up our empty lot next door. My neighbor calls me "Farmer John". lol. I love it! Going to start more basil.

Picked up some hybrid toms today. Wasn't planning on doing anything besides heirloom toms this year, but I'd like some early tomatoes since I'm getting a late start on mine. They won't pollinate my others since they're still 5 day old sprouts.

Man, I still have so much to do! Gets me excited thinking about it!

Need to pot up my pepper sprouts.

ezzirah April 15th, 2011 06:12 AM

trying to keep my garden from dying in the drought and wind!

gardeninggrammy April 16th, 2011 10:01 AM

I got my cool weather veggies planted outside. Mixed lettuces, spinach, carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, broccoli. Preparing the beds to get my beans and peas started. Dug up all of my strawberries to be replanted elsewhere. Built my potato boxes. I still have a heck of mess to clean up out there too!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...veggiesout.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Broccoli-1.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...atoBoxes-1.jpg

TastyofHasty April 16th, 2011 06:53 PM

Planted Marengo Romano beans, Purple Pod Pole beans, Kentucky Wonder beans, Sonesta dwarf beans, garden huckleberry (big pot), fenugreek (big pot).

It's so nice just walking around and looking at everything.

Planted the Flame grapevine out by the arbor-to-be.

Gardeninggrammy, do you mix your soil in that big bathtub-size thing? And I have never seen broccoli planted in a hanging bucket!

bdebonee April 16th, 2011 07:25 PM

Got free compost today! =)

Waste management was giving away free compost, so I got about 50 gallons,
and about 30 gallons of mulch. It wasn't much, but every bit helps.

Tilled the soil where I will be planting my peppers and cowpeas.
Transplanted some more tomatoes into the garden. Transplanted more
peppers from jiffy pellets to cups. Will probably plant them out around May 10.

Started even MORE tomatoes and peppers. ;)

Going to start my winter squash tomorrow. Planted more flowers for my gpa
in my gma's (R.I.P) old flower bed.

My echinacea finally came up!!!! Took a whole month.

I can't wait to start growing my winter squash, this will be my first year
for winter squash.

Going to go sow some melons in some jiffy pots right now.