IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Trisha August 16th, 2010 08:27 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Watering. I am picking peppers and collards but everything else has stopped producing or died. I can't plant fall crops because of the heat. I am burying my kitchen waste in the beds where fall crops will go because it is so hot that the compost pile gets baked dry.

T'Gardenator August 17th, 2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 592538)
I drove through a storm coming home from chiro today. As usual, it split and went around our property. We did get a sprinkle in part of the yard. The hood of one car and half the top was wet - the trunk and the other part of the top was bone dry!

LOL! same thing happened here. Been hoping and hoping for some of the rain the weather man said was heading for us. Then drove through a gully washer on my way home thinking . . . yeay!!! got half a mile from our house and everything was bone dry. completely missed us. ARGH! :D such is life and rain!

JanR August 17th, 2010 08:59 AM

Be careful what you hope for! :) I wanted it to rain last weekend and boy did it rain. It didn't stop for 3 days and now it is cold. 41 F last night. :eek: and it is raining again.

poypoyking August 17th, 2010 11:00 AM

I am anxiously checking my garden every day for new tomatoes :) I am at 73 DTM right now, so things are starting to blush everywhere.

I did pull up the last of my lettuce the other day, other than that weed control and tomato/pepper prowling.

JanAdy August 18th, 2010 12:26 AM

supposed to be doing my friends garden ready for her coming over on holiday and .....
Guess what?
First rain in a week.

JanR August 18th, 2010 08:17 AM

Picking Beans, picking beans and picking more beans and putting them all in the freezer. Trying to prop up my corn that gone blown over in the wind. :( Too much to do and not enough time to do it in. I can't wait until I can retire. :)

springfever August 18th, 2010 08:51 PM

I went out this evening and planted some turnip seeds, then realized, I have never grown a turnip.
I don't know if I planted it at the right time or the right depth or anything.
What was I thinking!!!
Well, I only had 3 small spots, each one about 3 ft. square and that may be too small.
Help, please.

nullzero66 August 19th, 2010 06:19 PM

Recently potted a peruvian prickly pear pad to root. Now waiting on it to root, cant wait to have some sweet Tuna fruit. Also waiting on Yacon and OCA plants to come in the mail.

Jennie_in_Iowa August 20th, 2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfever (Post 598609)
Help, please.

Spring, Turnips are EASY! I grew a 5 foot row of them this spring with no troubles to speak of. I planted them a week or two before last frost.

Planting depth of 1/4 is fine. Each turnip needs a 4" Diameter area to get to full size unstressed. Grow until you can see the shoulders poking up and they look about right. :-)

I bet a fall crop is great, idiggers assure me they can survive my zone 4 Iowa in the ground under hay bales, I bet you'll have turnips to harvest until the ground freezes in MO.

VA Gardener August 26th, 2010 08:53 AM

Did a second planting of my fall garden - spinach, lettuce, parsley, dill, radishes.
About a month ago did the first planting - peas, carrots, green bunching onions, beets, chard.
The third one will be in October - garlic and perennial onions.