IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

hikingonthru June 25th, 2010 08:47 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Well, we got a hard rain here today soaking the ground...so no planting crowders tomorrow. Since we had a good rain and the beds got soaked, I broke open the compost pens and used some of to mulch the raised beds about 4 inches deep to help hold some of that precious water in. Now, this is just leaves from the Fall...no new green stuff but that pile was HOT to the touch in the middle. It was warm when I laid it out so I know it is just blessing those roots with warmth, not scorch. I did work night 12s the past two nights and was so tired today I could not even ride my nordictrack. Did not sleep well and got the grass cut. Took down the electric fence wires around my garden. The dogs just hop over or under it anyway. It looks better and the grass between the beds is easier to mow.

My thinned cukes along the fence are starting to do OK as are the vining okra (louffa). My okra sets are pooping out and I have a single okra. I ought to slice and fry it on principle. I could make a jigger of gumbo!

Trimmed my mater plants to keep the air circulating and now the low toms got sunscald real bad.

AND my mother actually got me one of the topsy-turvy things. It is a humourous looking contraption and I actually put one of the leftover tom seedlings in it just to see if it works.

pita June 26th, 2010 09:43 PM

Weeding, weeding and more weeding...the rains have finally backed off some, and temps in the low 80's today, so the weeds are having a field day...where's my scythe:eek:

pita out!

tughillcam June 27th, 2010 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my garden as of 2 days ago...
potatoes in the foreground, the other stuff is still small so can't be seen well-

Attachment 10437

chickweed June 27th, 2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tughillcam (Post 560042)
potatoes in the foreground, the other stuff is still small so can't be seen well-

Attachment 10437

That is one beautiful garden!

chickweed June 27th, 2010 08:25 AM

Weeding, watering, watering, watering, weeding........

tughillcam June 27th, 2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 560069)
That is one beautiful garden!

LOVE my 4 hp mantis !
I also grow double rows of potatoes. I grow 2 rows side by side 12-14 inches apart - that way I hill the sides and center while
the middle holds the water instead of running off both sides.

ratdog June 27th, 2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tughillcam (Post 560042)

Attachment 10437

Your garden looks great!!http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...isc1/thumb.gif

tughillcam June 27th, 2010 11:13 AM

Thanks ! it's a work of Love-
my garden is my church :)

Trisha June 28th, 2010 08:21 AM

The drought is getting bad, but at least I don't have to mow the lawn now. Wildlife is attracted to the yard because we have a little pond and the birds are controlling the insects. But, the squirrels polished off the Asian pears while we went camping for a few days. The blackberries dried on the vine in the heat, too small a window during ripening. The middle eastern melons love the heat as long as I keep them watered. The Tappy's tomatoes are producing heavily but all other kinds have stopped. Peppers are finally growing, having waited for the temperatures to warm. Next year I will plant the basil in afternoon shade because it is getting fried. Only the volunteers under the tomatoes are palatable.

We did get 38 pounds of Yukon Golds from our 'tater patch!

MichiganderGardener June 28th, 2010 02:26 PM

Tug, those are some nice looking potatoes you got!! :)

Rain, rain and more rain this past week..Great for the garden, but getting lots of weeds..so been out weeding and hoeing...Transplanted the last of the tomatoes, hauled several wheelbarrow loads of chicken compost and spread around my watermelons, squash, corn ,and tomatoes..and last week planted another row of Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans.

Supported/trained my Armenian Cukes to climb up a trellis in the greenhouse. They are going gangbusters and now flowering..

I picked my strawberries and the last of my rhubarb last week and made a lot of strawberry rhubarb jam...