IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

AnnClaire June 23rd, 2010 10:38 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Went out to water this PM and just about cried ... the wind changed direction and half my 5' sweet corn is laid down :/ I'll get up early tomorrow and water with the soaker hose if we don't get any rain tonight and hope the corn will stand back up ... maybe try to hill it tomorrow afternoon if it doesn't stand on its own ... and it tasseled this week!

Arrrggghhh ... next year, I am going back to planting 2 kernels per hole ... they withstand high winds better with each other for support.

hikingonthru June 24th, 2010 01:06 AM

Enjoying the matsuki cukes immensely. Crying that my yellow squash plants are not recovering from the hail storm. Wondering why my bell peppers are not doing any better. Getting ready to till my Pap's garden after he leaves town to work and put in some crowder peas.

chickweed June 24th, 2010 10:13 AM

Battling squash bugs. It is so hot that you would think that they would fry!

Amaranthos June 24th, 2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnClaire (Post 557788)
Arrrggghhh ... next year, I am going back to planting 2 kernels per hole ... they withstand high winds better with each other for support.

Hey, that's a good tip, thanks for sharing! :)

simplicity June 24th, 2010 04:05 PM

Wishing it wouldn't rain quite so much or as hard - a nice rain twice a week would be enough. Checking for insects (the dreaded Japanese beetles have arrived) and weeding have become routine. The garden is doing great for the most part.

Sungold IL June 24th, 2010 07:42 PM

Killing Japanese beetles.

Go4dagreen June 24th, 2010 08:39 PM

The cucumbers are growing like crazy right now. It is fun to go out and look at the vines ar around 5pm while the sun is still hot. The leaves are all droopy looking and they are slimy to touch. Then I go out again at dusk and the leaves are like new, perked up and fuzzy to touch. I am going to pick a couple of the young cukes tomorrow so the plants keep producing. They are doing better than anyting else in the garden.

tashak June 25th, 2010 11:45 AM

Harvested shallots and a couple radishes.
Have two short rows of a lettuce variety that is not performing well so I'm going to plant or transplant something else there tonight or tomorrow and learn if it is the location or that lettuce variety.
Long beans are up. I need to do a couple more bamboo teepees for some other vining stuff that isn't quite ready to transplant, and I also need to transplant some head cabbage in the next few days.
Earlier today transplanted Navaho Gold, 4corners squash, tomatillo, cushaw.
Getting hot already this morning.
I think the neighbor's mint transplant is going into a large pot as soon as I figure out where to put that and how to shade it.
Rumors of possible rain tonight and tomorrow night.

nullzero66 June 25th, 2010 12:26 PM

This season has been low key compared to last. I have been busy with a new job and away from my plants more then I like :(. So I decided to do low maintenance herbs and maintaining my containerized fruit trees.

weedy June 25th, 2010 12:58 PM

Just in from the garden planted 2 1/2 rows (250 feet) of Bodacious sweet corn (4th planting) 1/2 row (50 feet) of Blue Lake beans (2nd planting). I have the soaker hose going on the maters now. Picked the squash AGAIN.