IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

TastyofHasty June 18th, 2010 05:15 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Chopped and pulled up almost all the dill, am drying it. Picked more boysenberries. Picked up a few crawly things while I was picking ... ack! Picked a few of the first HUGE thornless blackberries, and the last white mulberries. Picked a few Firetongue beans. Walked around and looked at stuff. Are quinces supposed to be slightly fuzzy when they're a little bigger than a walnut? Picked three heads of Welsh onions to save seed out of. Looked at the grass and weeds. Thought about lawnmowing.

tashak June 18th, 2010 07:53 PM

Prepped the last major garlic patch and watered the minibasins for corn/squash/beans for tomorrow morning planting. Hot enough here that I'm bucket handwatering some other garden plots.

gardentoad June 18th, 2010 08:56 PM

Planted a few more pole beans along the fence (Cascade Giant and McCaslan). Replanted where a few of the bush beans didn't come up. Set out some Golden Giant and Red Garnet amaranth. Picked enough strawberries that DH and I were able to have some for dessert tonight. Yesterday I planted some flowers outside the garden fence. That reminds me, I have some morning glories to plant too.

Sungold IL June 18th, 2010 09:09 PM

I'm adding a lot of supports for my pepper and tomato plants. The peppers took a beating with the big winds and rain we had earlier today, but I think they're okay.

I'm also starting to harvest more than greens and radishes. Today we also had broccoli and beets!

And I saw my first ever adult SVB today. I knew it was a "bad bug" because it looked like it was having fun with my zucchini. Probably laid an egg?

hikingonthru June 20th, 2010 02:23 AM

Well, today was hotter than hades again...but so humid none of the plants are drying out, so that is good..I think. My cukes along the fence were not doing so good so I thinned them by half and gave them a dose of liquid fertilizer. Ditto for the louffas. The noodle beans are not taking off so well...I don't recall them taking so long to grow. Tomorrow or the next day I will have my first honest mater harvest. I have had two or three little reds here and there. My grape tomato is more like a mini-roma plant. Plenty of eggplant. Zuchs are not doing so well...go figger.

hikingonthru June 20th, 2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardentoad (Post 553907)
Planted a few more pole beans along the fence (Cascade Giant and McCaslan). Replanted where a few of the bush beans didn't come up. Set out some Golden Giant and Red Garnet amaranth. Picked enough strawberries that DH and I were able to have some for dessert tonight. Yesterday I planted some flowers outside the garden fence. That reminds me, I have some morning glories to plant too.

OK...I have to ask "WHY?" on the morning glories? Down here...they are a field and ditch weed and we pull them up if we see them!

Sungold IL June 20th, 2010 07:16 AM

Today I am eying the ripening Sungold cherry tomato... my first ever... wondering when I should pick and eat it!

TastyofHasty June 20th, 2010 09:14 AM

Yesterday I walked around looking for grape leaves. To save for stuffing. Put it on my computer calendar for NEXT year, to look for them in the month of MAY. The grape leaves at this time in the year, around here, are getting holey from bug bites, unfortunately. I ended up with (I think) 88 grape leaves that were close to decent. After tying in bundles of 24, parboiling for 3 minutes in salt water, I now have one wide-mouthed quart jar of prepared grape leaves. I LOVE stuffed grape leaves.

bdebonee June 20th, 2010 01:42 PM

Going to transplant the last of the cherry tomatoes today at
the other garden.

Already transplanted and caged 2 today at this garden. (I have 2 homes, and gardens at both. :P)

Going to have to deep water again today. Its rare to get rain here in SoCal unless its winter.

Going to start a second sowing of bush beans.

Maeve June 20th, 2010 06:38 PM

A couple days ago I picked about a pint of blueberries (My bushes were put in just last year). I brought in the container and my 7 year old sat and ate every last one. There's more to pick soon, but I just love that there's something growing just for him. He'd eat them right off the bush if they weren't covered and he could get to them!