IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

lorna-organic June 15th, 2010 11:32 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

I fertilized, weeded and deep watered today. I still have some seeds to plant. Speaking of which, I should put those Crenshaw seeds in a ramekin with some water right now. That will give them a bit of a head start since I'm late in planting them.

AnnClaire June 15th, 2010 11:38 PM

Me, well we got a great nice, gentle rain yesterday and I just wandered around looking at the garden :D The cantalope are flowering (male flowers), the green beans are vining along with the cucumbers, the carrots are getting big, the last of the potatoes are flowering, the peppers are getting bigger and looked like they were getting ready to start flowering, the okra are getting big, might have to transplant them, there are teeny tiny baby tomatoes in my cherry tomato vines, the corn is going gang busters, the pinto and navy beans are putting on pods and vines, it looks like I could cut another harvest from my spinach ... will have to test the bitterness tomorrow to see :D

The grapes I planted last week are putting on leaves so they are doing fine ... no sprouting from the blackberrys or the blueberrys.

T'Gardenator June 15th, 2010 11:50 PM

snuck a couple green beans that wern't really ready for picking cause I just couldn't wait to tast 'em!! :)

VA Gardener June 16th, 2010 03:08 PM

Took all the spring pea plants out. We had peas for about a month and a half. Will sure miss them. I will try them again in the fall.

lorna-organic June 17th, 2010 12:34 PM

I found my first bean blossom (Dragon Tongue wax) on Wednesday. A few of the summer and winter squash began to bloom a few days ago. Something ate my cilantro down to the ground, but did not touch the parsley. I am baffled because those plants are in the same family. However, I like the parsley better so I am grateful that whatever ate it chose the cilantro!

OMWEnterprises June 18th, 2010 12:29 PM

Praying that everything survives while I'm gone on vacation for two weeks!

lorna-organic June 18th, 2010 12:33 PM

Lost two winter squash plants this week to the dreaded svb. :( I planted a second round of squash just in case this happened. The svb doesn't stick around for long around here.

VA Gardener June 18th, 2010 12:53 PM

I will have to water the garden today, again. We haven't had any rain for a while, and the temps stay in the 90's. They say we will get to a 100 this Sunday.

tashak June 18th, 2010 04:01 PM

Harvested the last major garlic patch this year, and these bulbs were huge. May take a tape measure to there circumerence as they are the largest I've ever grown, and I need to go through this year's planting notes and last year's planting/overwintering notes to find their varieties as the little popsickle stick markers disappeared. At least one is a spicey Eastern European (?) purple and white bulb.

hikingonthru June 18th, 2010 05:05 PM

Well, I discovered a good SVB combatant...two little boys. They think it is great fun to flush out the bugs with the fan sprayer hose-nozzle. Then they like picking them off and squishing them with a "squishing rock" I keep in the garden bed area.

Of course, three days ago we had a BAD BAD thunderstorm in the area...it had golfball sized hail (I think I will call it small layer egg sized hail) that shredded my yellow squash. The man up the road had all his corn laid down...sad. It toppled my maters, too, but I got them back up and they will survive I think. The matsuki cukes seemed to love that weather...they are GOOD GOOD!
My trellised vines a anemic...got to thin them along the fence.

Anyhow, right now it is HOT HOT HOT!