IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

Direct Sunlight December 9th, 2009 01:04 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Am wondering when there'll be enough time to burn off the dead plants etc. The tomatoes and peppers produced wildly in November. Well, there is the matter of pulling up the landscaping fabric we used on one side of the garden. We might get one more season out of it. Putting trash bags on one row was a bust-- they kept the weeds from growing but were quite the chore to put down and are now tearing and making a mess after 8 months of being out there. I have a bunch of landscaping pegs to pull up as well.

Brought out the 70s sheet set (orange and brown flowers on it, my parents' at one time) along with other random covers to cover the tomatoes but it didn't help. On the average, the Brandywine came off much worse in a near frost than did the Sunmasters that I had. Next year I'll have some better ideas at what works well and what doesn't.

Good luck to those in zone 9 and 10! I'm ready for a break! :cool:

w8in4dave December 9th, 2009 09:59 PM

Pfffftttt 20 degree weather and 0 windchill .. I'm doing nothin for my garden :D

garden_vato December 10th, 2009 12:39 AM

ha! try -2 with -16 windchill :D:):o:(:mad: I HATE UTAH!!!!!

gixxerific December 10th, 2009 08:10 AM

I feel ya it got down to 12 yeasterday with 40 - 45 MPH winds. I'm sitting inside watching it freeze.

But I have an indoor garden with lettuce and one tomato.

w8in4dave December 10th, 2009 10:40 AM

I want an indoor garden!! gv you can have the -16 we have -8 windchill so i'm prettymuch in the house for the day :D the good thing is bil just brought me a brand new carhart coat..his wife bought him a womens instead of a mens and so guess who he gave it to :D

chickweed December 10th, 2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 422546)
I want an indoor garden!! gv you can have the -16 we have -8 windchill so i'm prettymuch in the house for the day :D the good thing is bil just brought me a brand new carhart coat..his wife bought him a womens instead of a mens and so guess who he gave it to :D

W8in scored big! Tractor supply has a sale on flannel lined jeans, so I am going to get a couple of pairs. You guys can have your fight over who has the coldest weather - anything below 40 is way to cold for me (and we are in the humid part of the country, so our cold feels colder just like our heat can be downright oppressive). Hot lemon ginger tea and warm thoughts to y'all!

w8in4dave December 11th, 2009 11:22 AM

I love the flannel lined jeans!! Just love them!!

FarmerCathy December 11th, 2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 423376)
I love the flannel lined jeans!! Just love them!!

I wish I could find some maternity flannel lined jeans. That would be lovely in this weather, I'm down to just my yoga pants and that's it. I have a stash of maternity pants at home in CA 2,200 miles away. Good thing we'll be there by Tuesday. I'm cold. Brrrr.....

lumina December 11th, 2009 02:54 PM

Happy it's raining, so I don't have to water - and California needs it!! :)

cucurbits December 11th, 2009 08:15 PM

Well my chinese cabbage made it though the colder weather. The rain has melted most of the snow by now. Also I threw about 20 tomatoes that were rotting. Hopefully a few will ripen before they rot.