IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

southerncomfrey November 27th, 2009 08:10 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

I'm making compost and screening some stuff for the baby plants for later.

The garden and yard are still doing lots of things for me! I'm going outside right now and harvest some henbit, dandelions, catsear, plantain, and chickweed (but not very much). If I had some purslane I'd be in weed heaven.

chickweed November 27th, 2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southerncomfrey (Post 414721)
I'm making compost and screening some stuff for the baby plants for later.

The garden and yard are still doing lots of things for me! I'm going outside right now and harvest some henbit, dandelions, catsear, plantain, and chickweed (but not very much). If I had some purslane I'd be in weed heaven.

Me loooves chickweed! Yummy - and purty, too!
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...ardens/chi.jpg

happygardener November 27th, 2009 10:55 PM

I picked all green tomatoes yesterday..Covered hoop house, brought in geraniums (they are full of blooms), scattered compost. It was the last gardening day for St. Louis area. Broke the record for gardening days since 1902. Baked two squash pies that tasted like pumpkin from a tahitian melon squash. A great Thanksgiving Day. Southerncomfrey I love your list of edibles. I don't know what catsear is. Will have to check that out. Carry on!

w8in4dave November 29th, 2009 09:43 AM

I still have swiss chard in my garden I am so happy!! :D I love it!! The first time I have ever had some green in my garden this late..I just expect to walk out there and see it all brown or limp or something and nope it is still growin strong.. I am going to plant that stuff everywhere next spring..But i'm gettin the purty stuff huh chickweed :D I did mulch it with leaves so maby thats why it is still there, supposed to snow tomorrow we will see if it is still going strong after that ..

TastyofHasty November 29th, 2009 09:58 AM

I picked four small green peppers, and some golden bush zucchini yesterday, plus ate a few litchi tomatoes out in the garden.

Today I'm hoping the deer have left enough Chinese cabbage to make a batch of egg rolls ... I think tatsoi would work too, or mizuna. Bought more egg roll skins at Wally-World yesterday ...

Plan for today, after checking weather on Yahoo, is to hammer in 10 2-foot sections of rebar about a foot into the ground around the top of the pankar huyu, and stick the tops of the rebar into the 3/4" PVC, and put on the plastic (plain clear plastic); and throw something around the edges to hold the plastic down, which ought to be interesting because the bottom of the dome holding the plastic will be about 6" to a foot down into the pankar-huyu.

Also I'm hoping I will get around to glueing on two more 10-foot sections of 1" PVC to the ends of two 20-foot PVC lengths, so as to bring the old 30' dome greenhouse back up to speed. And haul out the old greenhouse plastic for it from under the front porch.

So ... today is Sunday, the "day of rest." And we ARE resting ... from driving around looking at nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

RozieDozie November 29th, 2009 10:56 AM

For the first time in many, many years I'm not planting a fall/winter garden. Still have tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and lots of herbs, though. We're having a cold front come through tonight so that might take care of that.

whodat November 29th, 2009 02:03 PM

I'm a bit amazed to see that my winged beans didn't croak over the last two nights, but they only got their tips frosted. I suspect they won't last much longer, but I hope to get a few more loads off em.

pepperhead212 November 29th, 2009 03:51 PM

I just harvested the last of my peppers - the latest I have EVER done this around here! It is finally threatening to freeze, so they are out of there, and I am slowly bringing in my herbs that have to be trimmed back and re-potted - most of those are on my back porch, but I still have to do this before getting started on cookies! Last night I did trim my curry leaf and bay leaf plants, with about 1,000 and 500 leaves respecively, which I stripped while watching TV, then froze them, but didn't get around to re-potting. Seems the holidays come sooner every year!

garden_vato November 29th, 2009 03:59 PM

awesome pepperhead. those are some amazing peppers you had.

im planning to start some pepper seeds here in the next week or two, hoping this will give them a good head start for next season. mostly just an experiment, but we'll see how it goes.

w8in4dave November 29th, 2009 07:50 PM

GV I love your Mater Raider thing :D I'm also a proud member :D