IDigMyGarden Forums

IDigMyGarden Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

hikingonthru January 19th, 2009 08:06 PM

What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

This past weekend, I just had enough of work and being indoors. My little garden area looked really shaggy and so I set to work on it.

I laid a tarp beside each of my raised beds. I then shoveled out all the soil onto the tarp. It had gotten down to freezing and the top couple inches was frozen and all the weeds and roots were coming up in big chunks. These got tossed into the area that is not raised beds to amend that soil (red clay). I also did a grub search. Those nasty little cutworm grubs are really common and I find sometimes nearly a dozen in one 4x8 bed! I am sure there are more I missed. I had some leaves I saved from fall. To what little soil was left in the bottom of the beds (which are all told 2 feet deep) I mixed in leaves and mixed really thick and well. On top of that dirt. Then a layer of leaves for a couple inches. Then more dirt. Then half rotted hay in a layer. Then more dirt. Then more leaves. Then about 4-5 inches of dirt on top. What little fresh kitchen scraps and eggshells I had got added deep and incorporated with the first mixing of leaves. One bed is 4 foot below groundline for growing deep running root crops (sweet taters) and garlic. That was fun to empty up!

I STILL got a ton of leaves left. It was not much really...and I am not sure what good this year...if any...it will really do. but I had fun doing it!

Finally, a layer or chicken wire to keep my dogs from doing their own mixing of the layers.

spencerules January 19th, 2009 08:26 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

I've got two beds that had winter squash in them last year and the squash went crazy, so I didn't get good grass control over them (first year and all). So I'm killing out the fescue with some plastic mulch. The beds are only 70 ft or so, so it's not too much of a trial.

I'm waiting on my soil tests so I can lime and then cover the beds with chopped leaves. I got the hook up with the local university, so I've got around a 100 huge bags of leaves, hopefully it'll be enough.

Dreaming of planting potatoes and lettuce...

tomatoman223 January 19th, 2009 08:53 PM

Looking out the back window and wishing I could do something out there,but with 6 inches of snow and frost to two feet I think I would be wasting my time:).

I do have some basil growing in a pot,at least getting some green in my life till' spring.

bellzeybubba January 19th, 2009 08:56 PM

I spent my weekend on my ornamental bed, cutting back the terribly overgrown perennials and mulching.

The veggie bed still has stuff growing in it and I'm still floundering around still trying to figure out what to do with it next, so I let it be while I tackled the area that's more familiar.

lorna-organic January 19th, 2009 09:07 PM

I finished pulling dead plants from my produce area. I collected a couple of bags of leaves in town to add to compost. I've also been clearing a new area. The area is outside of the house fence. I have a couple of acres, about one third is fenced in around the house for the safety of my dogs. I'm going to add additional fencing and a gate for a new produce area just beyond the house yard. Anyway, I was surprised to see how different the soil is in the new area. The house yard has sandy soil. The new area has loamy red clay soil. It digs up really easily. Might be some really good soil!

flaquita January 19th, 2009 09:14 PM

I covered half of the future summer squash bed with fresh horse manure and a tarp, now have to pik up more poo to cover the other half. I doubled the size of my garden by laying down composted horse manure and bedding, am now adding Alpaca manure and chicken manure to that to get it ready for the spring/summer crops. Meanwhile I am watering my kohlrabi and greens and radishes and counting the days to harvesting all of them. In the next couple of days I will have to find new homes for cauliflower babies and transplant tomato and pepper and tomatillo babies...
I am trying for 4 season gardening here....
Andrea

BrianS January 19th, 2009 09:51 PM

Earlier I set the garden on fire then shoveled a new load of turkey manure on it. Cant do anything now coz the ground is frozen as hard as a brick lol

Blanesgarden January 19th, 2009 10:18 PM

Moving the Chicken Tractor about...
Digging up last years Rows/Patches/Mounds...
Adding Lime, Bone Meal, and Catfish Guts...
Piling on in the Leaf bend...
Turning compost...
Planning on grinding Stumps in the Lot...
Chain Saw/Weed Eater maintenance...
Burning more timber, and spreading ash...
Chasing 8-ball(my cat) out of RBs...
Sharpening Tools...Shovel/Spade/Knives/Blades..etc...
Collecting Rain Water?

Other than that, Not much...Kinda slow right now:D

gulfcoastguy January 19th, 2009 10:35 PM

I spent today getting people's requests for my extra tomato, pepper, and eggplant transplants. My new seed starter kit has 72 cells and I allways have way more seed of each type than I have room for plants. My folks were talking about how expensive groceries are getting so they might be plowing up new garden space this year.

camochef January 20th, 2009 01:39 AM

I'm looking out the window at the snow that's covering it wondering... when will it go above freezing so it will begin to melt? and... when will this stop, it's driving me crazy???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q4cb...eature=related