Notices

Go Back   IDigMyGarden Forums > grapenut
Conversation Between grapenut and TXDirtDog
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 112
  1. TXDirtDog
    November 5th, 2012 06:49 PM
    TXDirtDog
    How goes life, gardens and sleep schedules? (insomnia)
  2. TXDirtDog
    February 13th, 2012 05:40 PM
    TXDirtDog
    How are you doing?
  3. grapenut
    May 18th, 2011 07:38 PM
    grapenut
    Yes, The Lopes I'm growing this year are from HMK. Charlies Pride, it will be the only type of Lope I grow this year, because if it does as good for me as it does Tony...well, I'm saving seed. <grin>
  4. TXDirtDog
    May 18th, 2011 06:08 PM
    TXDirtDog
    Glad the rain gave ya'll a break. Yeah, the maters should perk up pretty quick with some warmth. I had mine out in the mini-greenhouse and if it wasn't expected to get below 35, I didn't bother turning on the lightbulb. They are doing great now. Glad you'll be able to get the other things out before too long. Is that HMK's Uncle Charlie lopes? They really look like an interesting one.

Red's had trouble with stink bugs. He's using the nicotine tea to good advantage for them. He's also had some SVB activity.

I've had some SVB issues, but not stink bugs. I think Red's gettin 'em before they get here. The SVB issue here is not too bad. I'm using BT on the plants. They have gotten into some plants, but I've done some surgery work. So far I've lost 1 plant and 2 look in trouble, but not dead yet. Others have recovered. We'll see who wins in the end. Lol.
  5. grapenut
    May 18th, 2011 04:30 PM
    grapenut
    The rain has been kind lately, not a lot at any one time, so I was able to get the main garden tilled.
    had to put my maters out in the raised bed two weeks before I had planned and the cold weather has really put the hurt on them, but with this warmer weather I think they should perk right back up.
    Weather forecast looks real good and should be much better from here on out, so I'll let the soil warm up a bit then plant my Peppers, Okra, Eggplant, cucumbers and Melons, really looking forward to the Lopes Tony sent me.
    I know you had some serious drought, but you got some rain last week, Right? was it enough to do any good? and I pray that the SVB leave you and Red alone, but it looks like somebody is having a problem, is it you or Red?
  6. TXDirtDog
    May 18th, 2011 09:51 AM
    TXDirtDog
    Hey, just checkin in. Has the rain left you alone enough to do your gardening yet?
  7. TXDirtDog
    February 13th, 2011 07:25 AM
    TXDirtDog
    Will say a prayer for your sleep comfort. Good luck. Nighty-nite.
  8. TXDirtDog
    February 13th, 2011 07:24 AM
    TXDirtDog
    Lol. Blessing and a curse at the same time. No maters typically setting in a good portion of June/July August.

Yes, I'm a firm believer in a bigger plant at plant-out is a good thing, so the peppers are a good "take care of the itch to start something" plant. Especially the slower growing hots.

Florin turned me onto those little 4 shelf mini greenhouses and since we don't get colder than about 23F, it has been wonderful. Last year I didn't have a good enough light setup, and planted out in desperation vs. waiting for warmer weather. I just have to be careful not to cook them when the sun hits it. That also leaves the grow lights to the peppers, tomatillos and ground cherries. Everybody seems happy.
  9. grapenut
    February 13th, 2011 07:21 AM
    grapenut
    Well, its getting close to day time, so gonna try again for some sleep, not that it's gonna happen, just gotta try. funny thing is, on day break I want to fall asleep, but need to get up. and that is what ticks me off! if I could just get two hours sleep, I would be happy.
  10. grapenut
    February 13th, 2011 07:12 AM
    grapenut
    Ah, the joy and or despair of being in your zone! I can' put out anything until at least May! and that is in a good year. but peppers started now should at the very least get some good size on them and in four weeks, i will start my maters, getting restless for spring.