Notices

Go Back   IDigMyGarden Forums > Michelle8
Conversation Between Michelle8 and gerry
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 8 of 8
  1. gerry
    January 1st, 2011 10:54 AM
    gerry
    I tried a "no-till" bed, but it only grew cherry tomatoes and weeds.

Now If I can just convince the Bermuda grass to stay in the lawn and out of the gardens ...

You're always welcome to stop by and see what I have going. I'll be adding trellises this year. Let's see ... where do I put my wintersown flats ... hmmm.

Give me a ring sometime when you are free. - 243-7066
  2. gerry
    January 1st, 2011 10:52 AM
    gerry
    Sorry to hear about your worms. One of my problems is getting myself out to find out where to get things. I know I should call about a problem or a need and I put it off and I put it off. I just don't have the motivation of a boss and a paycheck to keep me going. I get the same problem in the gardens. When the sweat runs into my eyes I tend to break for a while that often turns into several hours. You just can't work an urban farm that way.

The garden was more or less a flop this year. I'm writing it off to "soil development" and "character development." The potatoes produced about what I put in the ground, but the soil is really loose over there. The corn had lots of ears, but not many kernels on each. The cucurbits developed fine, but I didn't keep them watered, so they didn't produce. The peas grew to about 6" or so and gave me back about half of the seeds I planted. The cherry tomatoes ran wild. They were all volunteers from last year.
    (cont)
  3. gerry
    January 1st, 2011 10:51 AM
    gerry
    I'm excited. I'm gonna start some winter-sown seeds this weekend until the rain stops and drains a bit. Then back to weeding. I'm trying to get as much weeding done as I can. I was overrun by weeds this year. I guess my #! resolution this year is to keep on top of the weeds.

I'd love to get together anytime. You know my schedule - none! So whenever you're free. Oh - I'm planning to take a class this spring, a new one for UT. Organic Sustainable Crop production. Unfortunately it's in the afternoon - 1:30-2:30. That means I'll have to work outside mornings when it's warm and dry enough and after class till sundown.
    (cont)
  4. Michelle8
    December 31st, 2010 10:29 PM
    Michelle8
    Hey there, stranger!! How did your garden grow this year? Mine was not too good. Rabbits and disease about did mine in.No beans whatsoever. Shorter tomato season due to disease. Rabbit ate my sweet potatoes and bugs and poor pollination did my squashes in. What a year.

Worms should not look too healthy right now. Keep putting in compost type of kitchen scraps and the worms will come up and get them and go back down to safer areas. I bought my worms and holder on line. I don't remember where now., I didn't take care of them this fall and they've died. I plan on buying more, just not right now.
    We need together some time. Look forward to hearing from you, Michelle
  5. gerry
    December 31st, 2010 11:41 AM
    gerry
    Hi, Michelle. I'm back!

You said last year that you were growing worms in the kitchen. What can you tell me? How do I start? I'm noticing more and more worms, even in the cold, as I move to beds that had growth last summer, but they're not looking really healthy. That might be normal for them in mid-winter.
    Please let me know what to do and where to go.

gerry
  6. gerry
    December 19th, 2009 03:01 PM
    gerry
    I guess there isn't an obvious way to delete here. I meant to send PM; sent.

g-
  7. gerry
    June 7th, 2009 09:20 AM
    gerry
    Michelle,

I'm going on vacation this Thursday. Will be gone for 2-3 weeks. You are on the herb train, aren't you? Have some herbs for the train. Shall I pack 'em up and bring 'em over?

gerry
  8. gerry
    April 27th, 2009 05:10 PM
    gerry
    Michelle,

I promised to send you this link and I forgot. I'm sorry. Check out the "Compost and Organics" Forum, The Unofficial NHGC Compost FAQ v3.0.

http://www.gardeningclub.com/community/forums.aspx

gerry