Notices

Go Back   IDigMyGarden Forums > Denninmi
Conversation Between Denninmi and Emerald
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 15
  1. Emerald
    July 25th, 2011 10:57 PM
    Emerald
    Well you sent me whole pods and a few are this nice snowpea shaped daintily delicate bean. if you cooked them in a stir fry you would think that they were snow peas till you taste them. I have them separated too. Hopefully they breed true. I figure you had them drying and just got a couple of dried pods of the other types mixed in. If you ever remember let me know--the dried seed of this purple one is not the same as Purple podded or trio violetta. Hopefully it breeds true too.
  2. Denninmi
    July 25th, 2011 02:31 PM
    Denninmi
    Hi:

Yes, I had a lot of different kinds of beans in 2008 and 2009, so its possible something foreign sneaked in pollen-wise or just maybe into the seeds when I cleaned them.
  3. Emerald
    July 25th, 2011 11:37 AM
    Emerald
    Hey Dennis remember those rattlesnake seed you sent and I found about 4 pods of a different color bean inside--did you have purple podded that year? or is it some other purple bean? I just got them planted this year and they are a purple pole of some type and I was just wondering. They are not big enuf for eating just yet but probably later this week. Very pretty plants tho.. deep green leaves with purple stems and blooms. And my third year of the Rattlesnake which is rapidly becoming my "have to have it" pole bean. thanks again.
  4. Emerald
    April 11th, 2011 04:45 PM
    Emerald
    How'd ya like the warm weather yesterday? I got a sunburn... guess that white Irish skin doesn't take kindly to being out in the sun after a long winter.
  5. Emerald
    September 19th, 2010 10:16 PM
    Emerald
    Dennis!! That Kiwi (or was it Anne?)raspberry that you sent is now putting out berries like it is on steroids! The grandbaby has to run between those berries and G. Gorden Gumbo's yellow submarine cherry tomatoes! I am beginning to think that is the only reason she likes coming to gramma's house!

So thanks again! you were so right about them being better than the fall gold that I have. Kiwi gold has huge clusters of golden berries compared to the Fall's.
  6. Denninmi
    August 11th, 2009 07:38 PM
    Denninmi
    hey there, I just noticed that I had an "unread message" -- hope you don't think I'm rude or something for not responding, I just don't notice those little reminders by my screenname too much.

Glad your enjoying things. The Royalty raspberries aren't really a deep purple, just like a really overripe red raspberry in color. They will tiproot on the new canes like the black rapsberry parent, so you can increase them pretty quickly if you like.
  7. Emerald
    August 7th, 2009 01:48 PM
    Emerald
    I just wanted to tell ya that the rattlesnake beans are doing great! All except one plant- it has darker green leaves and white flowers- so I am going to try and bag a few blooms on some of the emerging light lavender blooms and hope that they will be pure. I am sure that I planted only the striped and speckled beans, and not the two pods worth of the white beans- I am going to try to find a place for them next year. But the rattlesnakes are very vigorus and growing to beat the band..Thanks,, OH and the couple of purple raspberry plants that I let set fruit have the best flavor! not quite purple but darker red than my red ones! I may have to move them more into the sun to make them a nicer purple color.
  8. Emerald
    July 2nd, 2009 09:38 PM
    Emerald
    Hey Dennis- hope that your garden is surviving the cold weather! And to let ya know that, except for the paw-paw trees, the raspberries and other seeds are doing great! And I just found a White mulberry tree in the field behind the house, and boy do they taste good!
    Have you scoped out the earth oven thread yet? I am planning on putting on the insulating layer this coming weekend and hope to have more pictures put of of that!
  9. Emerald
    May 26th, 2009 11:12 AM
    Emerald
    I just wanted to tell ya that most of the raspberry plants have now sprouted leaves and are doing great! Only one or two of the gold ones haven't put out any leaves yet, but I will just leave them there as they might be slower than the rest.
    __Now on the Paw paw trees- one clump was chewed down to the ground by critters over the winter and the other, while it hasn't sprouted yet, the stems are green under the brown so I am just waiting for them to sprout out. The seeds were all given to my Aunt to try around one of her ponds that is more natural and not formal. So I will have to go and visit her and check them out.
    __ I am still sorry about your baby ducks it is a bummer to wait and watch and want to see the little ones only to have them killed.
  10. Denninmi
    March 1st, 2009 02:59 PM
    Denninmi
    Hi, Robyn.

No, no seed train thing or anything like that, I was just fulfilling some trades and requests, and thought I'd pop some into the mail to you as well. I figure we Michiganders have to take care of each other these days. Those were all things I grew last year and liked.

FYI -- I finally found the secret to making a good tasting product with those goofy garden huckleberries -- let them sit on the plant until the very last possible day in the fall (I picked mine the afternoon before our first frost here), and then let them sit indoors on the kitchen counter in a bowl for like 2 more weeks, just being careful to check them every day or two and pull out any that start to go bad. They get semi-shriveled by the end of this, are very dark black in color, kind of soft, and, when cooked into jam, actually taste pretty fruity.

Dennis
    West Bloomfield